newbie with intro shots

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Julie

A couple of shots each of the different things I typically shoot.

Horse shows:

2. Lake Oswego Hunt Club dressage show
966048716_tZQwa-L-5.jpg

Rodeo (but just for fun, not officially):
3. Molalla Buckaroo
965468541_LkLZW-L-1.jpg

4. Molalla Buckaroo
965470233_N7REB-L-1.jpg

Portraits:
1052266211_XZFVU-L-1.jpg

1053647681_ohJAu-L.jpg

Whippet racing:
909994334_F4cnq-L-1.jpg

909995084_y2fQv-L-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, nice stuff! Been doing this kind of thing for a while now I would guess? :)

The focus on every one of those shots is tack sharp, and it's obvious those dogs were moving real fast. Looks great!

Wow, nice stuff! Been doing this kind of thing for a while now I would guess? :)

The focus on every one of those shots is tack sharp, and it's obvious those dogs were moving real fast. Looks great!

Thanks E and Bob.

I got my first DSLR two and a half years ago and have been shooting professionally for the last year and a half of that now.

The whippets are going almost 40mph, so yes they are pretty quick. They are a LOT of fun to shoot!

Thanks E and Bob.

I got my first DSLR two and a half years ago and have been shooting professionally for the last year and a half of that now.

Wow, you turned pro in a year? Were you shooting film before?

In any case, that's impressive. If you'd like to share your secret with the rest of us, I'm sure lots of folks would be interested.

Wow, you turned pro in a year? Were you shooting film before?

In any case, that's impressive. If you'd like to share your secret with the rest of us, I'm sure lots of folks would be interested.

I took a year or two of photography in high school (I'm 44 now) and shot b/w film on a fully manual Nikon then. Haven't done anything since then. I don't have any particular secret other than being a sponge for knowledge. I have taken every workshop and seminar that was within my budget since I started and study everything possible every single day and shoot, shoot, and shoot some more. I joined a photography group too and also have a good friend who is a great photographer. I can be quite obsessive about things that I really enjoy I guess. The horse stuff came naturally to me since I used to ride, actually at the same barn that I'm the OP for now. And the dogs are the same, I have been showing, racing, and breeding dogs since the mid 80's. I'm a terrible perfectionist and if I compare an image of mine to somebody who is an exceptionally talented icon of those types of images I am obsessed with making mine at least as good. Still working on it. ;)

Last edited:
We have the same disease, Julie. I, like you, cannot get enough information about whatever it is I decide that I love and want to be good at. I just joined here last week myself.

From one forum "newbie" to the next, welcome.

Number 2 is stunning. The color composition is gorgeous. I love number 4 as well. What a capture... great timing!

regards,
Tobiah

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back