Oly Pen Get Away Weekend

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

steveeshom

Last weekend Tammy and I visited the Olympic Peninsula for a get away weekend and to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. We were very fortunate with the weather having only a bit of rain on Friday with the rest of the time being overcast now and then or mostly sunny.

Here's the first of several I plan to share over the next few days.

4754209284_a5f700a173_o.jpg

On June 26, 2010 the sun is starting to set of the south end of Vancouver Island and the Strait of Juan de Fuca. This photograph is a two image panorama stitched in CS3 and finished in Lightroom. I'm standing on the breakwater portion of Ediz Hook and looking north and slightly west.

Last edited:
Oh, drat!

Excellent photo! But with that title, I was expecting a post about your new Olympus PEN EPL1 camera. ;):rolleyes: I've been secretly coveting one of those since they came out.

Hey Steve nice shots! Next time come out to the real Peninsula about 2 hours farther west for your anniversary. Sea stacks, thousands of birds, and great wild views

Friday night we had dinner in Sequim and drove up to Dungeness spit to see what we could see. What a fabulous view! The original of this was very blue thanks to the water, distant mountains, and clear sky. I found I liked the nearly black and white version much better as the mountains tended to stand out much better and the white shape of the lighthouse buildings were much more apparent.

4762412062_a3b711faf2_o.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice, I like what you did. We used to see that view all the time, we had a house on Dungeness Bay. On a really clear day Mount Baker looks beautiful from there. We also watched all the shipping and submarines as they passed by.

But my favorite part was putting down crab pots, you know the famous crab is named after this place.

Very nice, I like what you did. We used to see that view all the time, we had a house on Dungeness Bay. On a really clear day Mount Baker looks beautiful from there. We also watched all the shipping and submarines as they passed by.

I'm jealous. The view from up there was fabulous and I'd love to have to look at it everyday. It looks like the wind blows there quite a bit but that would be a problem I'd be happy to have to worry about.

The haze was so thick that Mt. Baker was not out that day. I knew it was over there but no matter how many haze filters I put on it just wouldn't pop out. :)

On Saturday we drove from Port Angeles to the Hoh rain forest. I haven't visited this area since the 1980's when I camped with my family at Sol Duc so it was very nice to get back up there.

For photos from a rain forest you'd expect the larger forest...right? What's more striking about the Hoh is how life starts anew again when the larger forest matures and dies. As you can see in this photo a new forest begins on the back of the ancient forest.

4766148381_e759f063f7_o.jpg

Don't worry, I took plenty of photos of the the impressive trees there but in the end I liked this one the best.

Last edited:
After the Hoh we headed back to Forks (aka Twilight land) and captured a photo of Bella's truck for my teenage daughter. We didn't figure a Twilight tour by one of the two Twilight tour companies in town was necessary so we moved on to Rialto beach.

My parents were never big on the beach so in my 43 years of life this was my first visit to a Washington ocean beach. Just as I expected it was beautiful. Since the sun was out and the wind calm it was a fabulous day to be at the ocean.

From the looks of the logs and stumps scattered all over the beach we were there on a nice day...a really nice day. I'd love to make a visit on a stormy day and see just how the logs are washed up into the trees. I bet it is impressive.

4770321544_2b2c1ba58c_o.jpg

Last edited:
Log the log photo. In fact, I had no idea there was a Rialto in Washington. Now I know! Thanks.

The picture in the post above isn't working. It says the photo is unavailable?

Here's the last one from the trip. On Sunday morning we awoke to mixed sun and clouds. From the back deck of the B&B the clouds were streaming across the north flank of Mt. Angeles and letting the sun peak through to highlight the face. I took several photos as the clouds and sun moved in and out and settled on this one as my favorite.

4772608683_c1798dab71_o.jpg

Tammy and I both concluded that we need to visit the peninsula more often. There is much, much more to see than we were able to get to in 2.5 days. We'll be back to soak in more....

Last edited:
Shi Shi beach, Cape Flattery, many many waterfalls, the HOH rain forest..........I have been to busy with work to enjoy much of it, I need to enjoy my backyard more this off season

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back