Palouse Falls

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

ront

Inspired by some of the recent photos, that I have seen lately, we took a drive out to Palouse Falls this weekend. Here are a couple of photos.

Ron

1. At dusk
1165061130_vsG4m-XL.jpg

2. This one I like, but there is a pretty hot spot on this side of the water that I have not been able to figure out how to get rid of. This one has now been corrected using Content Aware in PSE9.
1166053876_rfUmL-XL.jpg

1165038840_RBGFJ-XL.jpg

Last edited:
These are beautiful.

Washington or Oregon? I need to get out more. Spectacular scenery and photographs. C.

You probably already tried this, but…

…moving the "Recovery" slider in ACR to the left (often all the way...) is about the best way of recovering blown-out highlights. The “Shadows/Highlights” tool in PS will often recover a bit more. If that adversely affects the rest of the image, perform that step on a duplicate layer, and use layer-masks to reveal the portions of each that you want to retain.

Like I said, probably just stating the obvious...

By-the-way, those rock. Especially the first one.--Mark--

Last edited:
nice, Ron... especially the first one! looks like the Palouse is flowing pretty good. i really need to make it over there one of these days to shoot that spot.

oh, Cher, this is in WA - i think it's about 6o miles west of Pullman.

Beautiful shots. Great pp. Awesome set.

Funny you should mention recovery, I just learned to use Recovery myself in November processing some RAW images. As soon as I can get out and do some shooting, it will be in RAW.

Thanks, Rocky.

nice, Ron... especially the first one! looks like the Palouse is flowing pretty good. i really need to make it over there one of these days to shoot that spot.

oh, Cher, this is in WA - i think it's about 6o miles west of Pullman.

Obviously I have not seen enough of Washington. Palouse, Mt. Rainier, oh my! :eek: C.

Thanks for looking and commenting on the photos!!

Rocky, if you get over this way, I would really like to meet you and head out there with you if possible!

mcsharley, I did try recovery, but was not happy with the results. It was suggested, on another forum, to try Content Aware in CS5. I do not own CS5, due to expense, but I do have PSE9 which also has a version of Content Aware in it. Here is another go at the photo using Content Aware. I think that PSE9 is almost worth the price just for this!!

Ron

1166053876_rfUmL-XL.jpg

WOW!!!! Whoever is responsible for the FB Photo of the day, THANKS!!!! I really appreciate it a lot!!

Thanks, Ron

I've never seen the falls from that vantage point. I always paddle up the river and view it from below. That canyon is truely beautiful and is full of wildlife.

Pops

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back