Rainier Lenticulars

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
There were some awesome lenticular clouds near Mt Rainier tonight. I couldn't get to a really good location, but I did manage a couple of shots from the house.

BH1_1672-Edit.JPG

Last edited:
Nice Bob, I was hoping someone else got some shots of these.

I got out a little after the sweet light left the mountain, but before it was too dark for some shots. Here's the angle from the south end...

401488654.jpg

401488653.jpg

Excellent shots, guys

These are great!

Bob, if you only had that power line filter - he said wistfully..... :D

The power lines are a pain. I've given some serious thought to trying to mount a camera on my roof. It would be high enough to avoid the lines and have a great view of Rainier. If anyone knows of something that might work at a reasonable cost, let me know...

Just for fun, since pretty much everyone said "That looks like a painting!" (and "That looks like a UFO!") I did a "watercolor" version.

I've loved all your shots of the lennies since I saw them on facebook.

Looks like you got some great ones too, Tony.

Beautiful! I keep seeing amazing cloud formations around the mountains above Issaquah and I'm continually cursing the power lines that block every view I can find. Ansel Adams mounted a platform to the roof of his car to shoot from... I'm seriously considering doing the same thing.

Amazing how different the same clouds look from different directions.

Here's a view from the north. I was hoping the clouds would mover closer to Rainier, but they only moved slightly closer before dark.

Thanks for adding to this Steve. It's awesome to see the same subject from different locations and how different it looks. From the lighting in this it looks pretty close to or just after I got my shots.

Thanks for adding to this Steve. It's awesome to see the same subject from different locations and how different it looks. From the lighting in this it looks pretty close to or just after I got my shots.

I was there until just after sunset. Kept hoping it would turn in to something as spectacular as yours.

Nice shots. Looks like the summit winds have been touching 100mph on the summit the last couple days, may see some more big lenticulars tomorrow.

Not much chance of seeing lenticulars let alone the mountain for at least a week with the weather forecast.

Nice shots....I also learned what the UFO clouds are really called LOL!!! No more looking for spaceman. We don't get many in So. Oregon, is there something about mountains that makes those happen? Great colors!!

Nice shots....I also learned what the UFO clouds are really called LOL!!! No more looking for spaceman. We don't get many in So. Oregon, is there something about mountains that makes those happen? Great colors!!

Yep, they form around tall peaks when it's windy. Usually around Rainier it means the winds around the summit are at least 40mph and it's snowing. Nice if you're looking from the surrounding areas, not so nice if you're trying to reach the summit :)

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back