Stream of Consciousness

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
i've been playing with this for a few days, including a couple of re-shoots to get just the right exposure and the right blur in the water... i think this is the way i want it. should make a nice 10x20 print... ;) 5D, 24-135 @ 135mm, 6 sec @ f/11, ISO 50, -2/3EV with polarizer...

StreamofConsciousnesssigned21sm.jpg

OK, well looks like tomorrow's photo of the day is going to be an easy pick. :)

Nicely done, great shot!

Wonderful, Rocky. I think you treated the water very well. Great result with the polarizer. 'Twould be an average shot without, but the water being translucent enough to see the colored rocks beneath the surface really makes this shot sing. Nicely done :)

thanks, guys... haven't decided yet whether to do the 2:1 version as a 10x20 print, or have the original 3:2 version done as a 16x24 on canvas... heck, if i can swing it, maybe i'll do both! :)

You were "photo of the day" today, BTW.

You mention canvas prints, where do you have yours done? I'm thinking of trying that, and not sure where to get them printed. At $50 or more a pop, I'd like to get it right the first time. :)

Beautiful shot! I'd also have a hard time deciding which size print to make, the length of this works really well for a 10 x 20.

Bob - I recently tested out Mpix.com's canvas wrap prints - I'm happy with the quality and the color (I did one portrait and one bright yellow flowers to check the color translation) however their wraps don't extend the image around, it's more of a matching blur of color around the edges.

You were "photo of the day" today, BTW.

You mention canvas prints, where do you have yours done? I'm thinking of trying that, and not sure where to get them printed. At $50 or more a pop, I'd like to get it right the first time. :)

thanks, Bob! as for the canvas, i have mine done at a place called Picture It On Canvas. they're in Poway CA, outside of San Diego. i've had several pieces done there, and have always been pleased with the results. in fact, they did the pano of "Ecola Vista" that i just sold recently.

at first glance, canvas prints seem expensive, but remember, you don't need mats or frames - by the time you factor those costs into your paper print, it's usually about a wash. PIOC's prices are pretty reasonable compared to a lot of the other canvas print shops i've looked into, and they periodically have specials which lower the price even further. the gallery that sold "Ecola Vista" asked about getting a 20x30 of one of my other images, and i was able to place the order during one of PIOC's 45% off sales, so the print, plus shipping, only cost me a little over $100. for a paper print that size, by the time you pay for the print, matting and mounting, and a frame, you're easily into it for $200.

the canvas prints come with a Tyvek backing and hanging hardware already installed. they offer thin or thick bars (.75" or 1.5"), and they do "mirror-wrap" edges if you ask for it (means they "mirror" the image onto the margins to make it look like the image wraps around the edges, and you don't need to allow for it in your image files...), which is a handy bonus when you have a signature in the image file like i do, and want to make sure it doesn't get wrapped around the side or something. i've also noticed that colors really seem to jump off the canvas, often even more so than with paper prints.

you do have to be a bit judicious which images you print on canvas. not all photos lend themselves to that process, IMHO... but for the ones that do, it can make for a really nice and artistic presentation.

Beautiful shot! I'd also have a hard time deciding which size print to make, the length of this works really well for a 10 x 20.

Bob - I recently tested out Mpix.com's canvas wrap prints - I'm happy with the quality and the color (I did one portrait and one bright yellow flowers to check the color translation) however their wraps don't extend the image around, it's more of a matching blur of color around the edges.

thanks, JA... this is one of those shots that i think would lend itself well to canvas, but i'm thinking i may do the 10x20 on paper, with a mat and frame. if i were doing it on canvas, i'd probably go larger, maybe 18x36. or i might do the "wide" version on paper and the full-size (3:2 ratio) on canvas... haven't decided yet. i'll probably wind up doing both sooner or later... :D

i've been playing with this for a few days, including a couple of re-shoots to get just the right exposure and the right blur in the water... i think this is the way i want it. should make a nice 10x20 print... ;) 5D, 24-135 @ 135mm, 6 sec @ f/11, ISO 50, -2/3EV with polarizer...
This is just lovely. You've really nailed the exposure/blur on the water. Would you welcome some C&C?

This is awesome!! Nice work, indeed. I'd love to see in on canvas. I haven't ever done it myself though, so I am no help on that front.

certainly, Irene - if you have suggestions for improving this, i'm all ears!

The saturation and tones are perfect in the water and in the stones that are close to the water on the bank. I would love to see what you get if you played with the brighter rocks (farther from the water) in order to get them play nicely with the luminosity and saturation levels found on closer to the water.

The only reason I mention it is that, if the big rock that breaches the surface of the water (lower right) is your focal point, then it might help the composition if the other rocks are toned down to playing a supporting role.

Does that make sense?

OK, I am not sure how clear I was, so here is what I meant - I made the adjustments and then removed them in slanted strips throughout the image - my intent is to show a before and after in how you can make the lower portion of the image carry the same colors as the upper portion.

I hope I haven't shown bad manners in doing an uninvited edit. Please let me know if you prefer that I remove this post.

thanks, Irene... i think i see what you're getting at. technically, if there IS a focal point, it's the largish rock toward the center left, not the half-submerged one on the right. but i've violated one of my own cardinal rules in this photo, in that there is no specific, well-defined focal point... it's all about the visual contrast between the smooth, flowing water and the sharply focused stones. no one rock is the center of attention.

i may go back and tone down the rocks a bit and see how it looks. i don't want to lose the contrast between the stones and the water, though... part of what makes this work is the difference in colors and textures between the water and the riverbank, and if i get the rocks too close to the rest of the image in tone, some of that contrast goes away. i'll fiddle with it and see what i come up with...

thanks for the suggestion!

Last edited:
Yeah, your image is a wonderful study in textural contrasts - the smooth soft flow of the water against the hard, resolute stones - and I love that you've placed the edge of these contrasts along the lower third... leads my eye first to the half submerged rock (which itself is in a compositionally significant location.) From there it seems to free my eye to meander in the water. Really delightful, considering your title, there are so many phrases associated with memory that come to mind when I look at it.

This is a thoughtfully considered work. I would love to see what you end up with once you've played around.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back