sunset 8/2

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
the sunset itself wasn't much tonite, but about 20 minutes later, oh, the clouds!!

IMG_7916sm_zpsfb1ade5a.jpg

IMG_7921sm_zpsf756a4f9.jpg

IMG_7919sm_zpsedd3807c.jpg

the sunset itself wasn't much tonite, but about 20 minutes later, oh, the clouds!!

These are nice!

I prefer the dusk over the sunset a vast majority of the time. The sunset tends to be a bit cliche also, we get a lot of radiant light which I don't care that much for. Once the sun goes down and we have some partially cloudy skies, man, there's a lot of great light to work with during dusk. It's crazy how even seasoned photographer's will be standing at an observation platform with the big fluffy clouds in sky which aren't even popping with brilliant color yet and tear down there equipment and leave right after the sun has just gone down over the hills or ocean and leave right as these brilliant colors start to pop talking about how great the sunset was. Yeah, the sunset was good but not as good as the dusk IMHO.

Chad

Last edited:
you got that right, Chad! i always say the best colors come 20-30 minutes AFTER the sun sinks out of sight. i remember a trip to Second Beach a few years ago - i made the trip just to shoot the sunset - and when i got there, around 6:30, there were maybe 25 people on the beach. by sundown, there were 4... myself and three others, all with DSLRs (though i was the only one with a tripod). we all shot the sunset - sorta brassy, not very pretty at all, actually - and as soon as the sun was out of sight, the other three packed up and left. i just stood there and shook my head... they had no idea what they were gonna miss! i stuck around, and about 25 minutes later, i was rewarded with one of the most beautiful evening skies i'd ever seen, even without clouds! i liked it so much, i put the image on my business cards! i knew there had been a volcanic eruption in Siberia a few months before, and all that stuff was floating around in the upper atmosphere, just waiting for the right light and angle to light up the sky... it lasted just a few minutes, but man, was it worth it!

Second Beach Sunset sm.jpg

Not as beautiful as your shots Rocky, but yes, there are awesome shots available even after the sun goes down.
#5085.jpg
Montana, July 2014.

Deka

There are three parts to every sunset: the preset, the sunset itself, and the afterset. One part may look better than the others depending on the clouds and atmospheric conditions.

I used to take a lot of sunset photos along the Edmonds waterfront, but I have backed off the last two years as I thought all of my shots were starting to look alike. You have to get creative with the use the foreground to avoid that if you are taking shots at the same location every night like I was.

Last edited:
Sunsets are so dependent upon various factors.
What is enjoyable.....each sunset really is different. Nothing is ever in the same place, the same color, the same tint or the same vibrancy.
Nature is not stationary. It is changing all the time.
To us humans, it may become mundane but it is constantly changing. It is up to us to 'see' and enjoy.

Deka

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back