Sunsets of Edmonds, WA.

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Saturday night (6/13/15) from Sunset Ave. No gimmicks this time, just handheld shots using the 5DIII + 100-400L II & 4.0/70-200 telephoto zooms.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
The Vancouver, BC-Seattle Cascades Talgo train has left Mukilteo just after sunset. These latest, most northern sunsets of the year create surrealistic evenings along Puget Sound.

01.JPG

02.JPG

Last year I took a hiatus from photographing sunsets along the Edmonds waterfront. I had taken hundreds of shots over the previous four years and the photos were starting to look alike. This year I discovered Haines Wharf Park, Edmonds' newest. I paid a visit Tuesday evening, but the sunset was a dud.

I returned Wednesday (6/17) after picking my son up from tennis. It was nearly sunset, so I shot these handheld with little preparation. Shooting from this locale is still a work in progress.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

These were shot using the more "artistic" settings of the HDR feature. The camera snaps three quick shots using different exposures and blends them into one photo. Because three shots are taken, a tripod is recommended to avoid "ghosting" created by motion. I managed to pull these off shooting handheld.

04.JPG

This is the full psychedelic setting for those too young or participated too heavily to remember the 60's.
05.JPG

Last edited:
Sunday (6/21/15) was the summer solstice, which marked the farthest north the sun will set over Puget Sound. The sun will now begin its southbound journey along the Olympic Peninsula. My son and I when up to Pt. Edwards to get take some photos, as there is a narrow window through which you can photograph the sunsets from Pt.Edwards before they are blocked by the condos.

5DIII + 24-105L wide angle zoom, HDR mode.
01.JPG

02.JPG

Looking north, Mt. Baker was peeking between the condo buildings.
03.JPG

04.JPG

A strange looking ship was heading north after sunset. None of us knew what it was.
7D + 100-400L telephoto zoom.
05.JPG

Last edited:
here's a look at the solstice sunset from Howarth Park in Everett, up on the bluff above the tracks... 5DII, 24-105 @ 105mm, 1/8 sec @ f/11...

IMG_9304a%20sm_zpskctgid9c.jpg

Saturday (7/4/15) my aunt invited my son and I over to her house in Emerald Hills to watch annual Edmonds Fourth of July fireworks show from her back deck. I took some sunset shots while we waited for the fireworks to commence.
01.JPG

Looking a little farther south at the Olympic Mountains.
02.JPG

03.JPG

HDR mode in full psychedelic setting.
04.JPG

Due to the late sunset (9:11pm, PDT) at our far northern latitude, the fireworks show did not begin until shortly after 10pm. Even then, there was still a fair amount of color in the sky. The two bright "stars" in the middle of the photo are the planets Venus (left) and Jupiter (right).
05.JPG

Smoke from forest fires in Canada has created some very interesting sunsets. These were taken at Olympic Beach in Edmonds on 7-5-15.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Some sailboats were out in the Sound Wednesday evening (7/15/15). I shot these handheld from the car with the 5DIII + 100-400 III zoom + 1.4x III teleconverter at about -2 exposure compensation to darken the sun. It would have been better to set up the tripod and swap lenses to shoot in HDR mode, but I had to pick my son up from tennis and did not have the time.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

Last edited:
After it grew too dark at the marsh to photograph birds Saturday night (8/8/15), I hustled over to Olympic Beach to catch the sunset.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Thunderstorms occurred in parts of the Puget Sound region Wednesday (8/12), which raised the humidity to a degree higher than what we are accustomed. I knew the resulting haze building in the west would create a good sunset, so I headed down to the marina after dropping my son Daren off at tennis.

I took these photos with the 7DII + 100-400L II telephoto zoom.
01.JPG

02.JPG

The sun actually set twice. The first time was behind a low hanging cloud bank.
03.JPG

It emerged under the cloud bank and set again behind the ridge.
04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
I took these photos with the 5DIII + 16-35L zoom mounted on a tripod using HDR mode on the least psychedelic setting. It was the wrong choice of lens, but Daren was not there to watch my equipment so I could run back to the car and get the 24-105L and 70-200L zooms.
06.JPG

07.JPG

08.JPG

09.JPG

Last edited:
Daren has tennis Mondays & Wednesdays from 8-9pm. The sun is setting too early for me to get good photos at the marsh by the time I drop him off and drive downtown, so Monday (8/17/15) I stopped at Sunset Ave. I was too lazy to drag out the tripod, 5DIII, and wide angles lenses for proper sunset shots, so I took a few close-up shots with the 7DII + 100-400L II telephoto lens.

01.JPG

This looks as though a chase (or in this case, lead) plane was monitoring a test flight of a Boeing airliner out over Puget Sound.
02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
Nice shots. Looks like you have some smokey haze caused by wildfires helping along the hue in these photos, no?

There's quite a bit of haze here in the Portland area.

Chad

Nice shots. Looks like you have some smokey haze caused by wildfires helping along the hue in these photos, no?

There's quite a bit of haze here in the Portland area.

Chad

Could be haze from the forests fires, air pollution from Seattle, or a touch of humidity.

Here are some shots from Wednesday night (8/19/15) taken from Ocean Ave. I was a bit more ambitious and set up the 5DIII + 24-105L zoom on a tripod.
HDR full psychedelic setting.
01.JPG

02.JPG

HDR again
03.JPG

04.JPG

7II + 100-400L II zoom.
05.JPG

Last edited:
As Rocky stated in his Wildfire Sunset thread, the smoke from the wildfires in eastern Washington made for an interesting sunset Saturday night (8/22/15). About an hour before sunset I could tell by looking west from the #1 viewing platform of the marsh that I needed to be on the fishing pier for the sunset.
01.JPG

The pier was full of people fishing and/or watching the sunset.
02.JPG

Although the sun was disappearing behind clouds, I could tell that it would drop into that narrow band between the clouds and hills to create a beautiful sunset.
03.JPG

And I was not disappointed.
04.JPG

05.JPG

Continued.

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back