The Evening Grosbeaks have arrived.

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Tony S

Good thing I didn't spray my plum trees this year, they are loaded with aphids and the evening grosbeaks are having a field day in the trees.

386937981.jpg

386937937.jpg

386937939.gif

Last edited:
The little buggers were noisier than all get out this morning at 5:20 AM, I'm not a morning person so I was not happy to hear the rucous. Took me all day to calm down enough to hold the camera steady for a few more shots of them, they are lucky it wasn't my shotgun.

386988396.gif

386988390.gif

386988393.gif

The way the bugs are all rolled up in the curled leaves kind of reminds me of a sandwich wrap... this guy was really getting into them.
386988395.gif

Pretty awesome shots. Oh I can so relate to the not being a morning person. I feel the same when the woodpecker is on the outside of my condo.

We heard some new birds in the trees last night. Your beautiful captures have me thinking I shouldn't have been so lazy and should have gone out and investigated. Those are really neat. Is that a pair, or a flock? Do they travel in hordes?

Leia, I don't think it's a pair together. They just happened to be in the same spot at the same time. Right now there are probably over 100 of them out in the yard and neighborhood, they seem to stop by the area this time of year and hang around for a couple of weeks before moving on. Good thing too, I don't like getting woke up every morning like that and I want the fresh air coming in the window.

Thanks Susan and everyone else who commented.
In the first set it was the 400 2.8 all by itself handheld. After seeing the results from tons of those pictures, I put the rig on the monopod, added the 1.4TC and then used the 580 EXII for some fill flash in the trees since it was pretty cloudy out. That and I was probably only 25 feet away from them while shooting.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back