The Lunar eclipse has started

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

One more important tip. If your lens has Vibration Reduction (Nikon VR) or Image Stabilization (Canon IS) turn it off when using a tripod. It will not improve image quality when used on a tripod, and can actually degrade it.

There are a few (very few) lenses with stablization that are compatible with tripods. If you're using one of them, you probably know that. The vast majority are not, and if you read the manual that came with your lens, you'll find something saying that it should not be used when the lens in mounted on a tripod. Of course who reads the manual that comes with a lens, so most folks don't know that.

The leg warmers were for both. And Bob, thanks for the tips. I knew I should have turned off the IS but forgot at 12:30am and brain freeze.

I only got 2 shots... One was at maximum brightness just before the start, when the sky was clear. (Everyone has seen a bright full moon so I'll save some time by not posting it :)
Reminds me of a shot I turned in for HS photography class. Teacher said, "You say it's a full moon. I say it's a golf ball on black velvet."

Unless your technique is VERY good, you introduce shake when you press the shutter. ... Notice the little "seismograph" trails from the car headlights.

Using a cable release will help with this issue. I should have done that for this shot.

How about mirror lock-up? I haven't played with it yet on my camera, but seems like a good idea.

Benton 21dec10

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back