This thread needs a good title...

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Any Suggestions??

6289600_orig.jpg

2741795_orig.jpg

5134231_orig.jpg

5638156_orig.jpg

I took these images today at the wildlife refuge in Ridgefield

I's say your subjects have what in the portrait business we call "raccoon eyes" :)

I think on the first one I'd crop out the three critters on the left as they are obscured too much. None the less I think I'd title this one "Family Outing".

I think they all look pretty darn good!, I dont see an issue, like ejones does, we just have different views most of the time..

I'm afraid I feel the same... Both the first and second are almost "Wow" shots, but the bush limbs and leaves in front just takes too much away. There was probably nothing you could do and at least you got the shots. I don't know how many images I've taken (or not taken since I knew it wouldn't be how I mentally wanted it to be) that had this happen. You can tell though that should you ever get a chance to get a clean shot, you are going to have some exceptional images.

Mike

The leaves in the way are a problem. It's hard to say that, as the images are good, the focus is crisp, the light is good, nice reflections. Everything was working well.

You probably had no choice. The refuge has strict rules on where you can and can't be. In most areas you have to stay in your "mobile blind", aka your vehicle. Getting out and moving closer simply isn't an option. Even in the area where they have a walkway, you're restricted. Also, racoons don't spook real easily, but there's a good chance they would have been scared off.

That said, the photos are nice for documentation, especially the second image with it's factor of "Look how many racoons I saw!" The first one is nice as well with the little guy on the right peaking at you. They're good shots and you did pretty well.

Unfortunately, the leaves detract enough to keep it from being outstanding. That's part of the challenge of wildlife photography. There's a reason guys buy 600 mm lens and spend all day hiding in blinds. It's not easy to shoot most wildlife, and the stuff you can shoot easily isn't that popular. (When's the last time you looked at a photo of a Canadian Goose in the park and thought "Wow, what a great shot! How did he do that?")

Also, keep in mind that different uses have different standards. You could post this on Facebook and almost certainly would get lots of compliments. If you're looking for something to print large and sell, this shot might not work quite so well.

Last edited:
You probably had no choice. The refuge has strict rules on where you can and can't be.

Exactly. This was along the stretch of road running alongside the slough, err, maybe 80 feet from the bank on the road side. The first two photos I captured, the river bandits were at the bank on the opposite side of the slough probably a good 150+ feet from my vantage point. The following two shots, they had swam across and hit the bank on my side of the slough.

I'm with Janice and Snuffy2, I love the candidness these shots have to offer.

Thank you all for your input!

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back