Tualatin River National Wildlife Refuge

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

JaniceL

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you have never been to the Tualatin River National Wildlife Refuge, it's a great place to visit. They have a photographer's blind that anybody can reserve for a whole or half day on Wednesdays and weekends. Best news is that it is free.

I reserved it for Saturday morning in anticipation of a sunny day. A tip Make sure you check the photographer's ephemeris for sun direction or better yet come on an overcast day to avoid the harsh shadows. Something that I did not do. Best time of the day, early morning. In the morning they are still hanging out there.

It's a great place complete with benches and three sides available to shoot from. On each wall they have several sliding panels that you can open depending on your subject and you. They have them on two levels so you can get down nearly to the surface of the water. They even have benches and a stool with wheels. Dress warm, it's nippy on a frosty day.

Some photos. I had harsh light that morning and with a bit of wind they stayed in a sheltered area that day. But that is how it is with wildlife. You win some and you lose some. Not National Geographic material but still a good day, fresh air and a Thermos of coffee who can go wrong with that. :)

Love was in the air.
5459634953_3e6224f2ea_z.jpg

This drake was obsessed about a diving coot. Followed it everywhere, cocking his head to see it.
5461407723_f221da4e43_z.jpg

5461407973_5f34d66ae5_z.jpg

And if you don't like waterfowl the trail has plenty of songbirds. Remember come early just as the sun warms the air and before the trail fills with people, driving the birds away from the paths.
5460171412_971972e68a_z.jpg

Thanks for the info and link to the refuge. I have not been there before. Might have to go check it out one of these days. I live by Ridgefield NWR but the lighting always seems to be bad when I go there!
Is that a 50-500mm I see?

Ron

Thanks for the info and link to the refuge. I have not been there before. Might have to go check it out one of these days. I live by Ridgefield NWR but the lighting always seems to be bad when I go there!
Is that a 50-500mm I see?

Ron

I've been there several times and this was the first morning. I have drawn the conclusion that in the winter the sun is too far south and no matter what the birds will be backlit. Of course in the summer there is no seasonal ponds. An overcast day is the best for waterfowl. For the songbirds and other critters anytime is good. I don't think I've ever been there without seeing something.

And yes, it is a 50-500.

I saw a man come off one of the the roads (I don't think he was supposed to be there) with what looked like a Canon 600mm prime. You could follow my trail as I drooled all the way back to my car.

It's the same situation at Ridgefield. All of the blinds face into the sun. Obviously they weren't built by photographers!
I love the 50-500mm. I had the original version and sold it several years ago which was a mistake. I recently picked up the new version with OS and it's even better but of course, cost a lot more.
I had a 300-800mm for several years and it's an amazing lens as well. Especially for wildlife. Wasn't using it enough and sold it a while back. I miss that one too!
The new 600mm Canon is almost 12K! Hard to justify. The Canon 800mm is very close to that too and the extra 200mm sure is nice for wildlife but I have a hard time spending that kind of money on a lens I just don't have enought time to use several times a week.

Ron

You are right not a choice for a photographer but the way the roads are constructed and their need to limit access during the wildfowl season I can see why.

I had a 100-400 that I sold and borrowing this one I like the extra reach. Yes, I'd have to sell my first born to get one . . . oh wait I don't have a first born. So renting one for $80 day is not bad especially if rented over the weekend.

or, instead of renting one, you can just bum one when you need it LOL

nice birdie shots too :)

It's the same situation at Ridgefield. All of the blinds face into the sun. Obviously they weren't built by photographers!
I love the 50-500mm. I had the original version and sold it several years ago which was a mistake. I recently picked up the new version with OS and it's even better but of course, cost a lot more.
I had a 300-800mm for several years and it's an amazing lens as well. Especially for wildlife. Wasn't using it enough and sold it a while back. I miss that one too!
The new 600mm Canon is almost 12K! Hard to justify. The Canon 800mm is very close to that too and the extra 200mm sure is nice for wildlife but I have a hard time spending that kind of money on a lens I just don't have enought time to use several times a week.

Ron

Ron! it is good to see you over here on these forums as well! Tara Says Hi! I have been thinking about running up to ridgefield for a while and see if we could get some more wild life images.

Hello Daron and Tara! It's been a while! Let me know if you decide to head up one of these days. My schedule is pretty crazy but it would be fun to get out there and shoot again.

Ron

Congrats on FB photo of the day :D and you can rent camera equipment? I did not know that. My hubby and I are planning on doing a lighthouse tour of Oregon and I would love to take a really great camera!

Thanks Christena.

Renting is a great way to decide if the equipment is right for you.
Also, in this economy, sometimes renting is better than buying.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back