Wachlella Falls

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
took a day trip down to the Gorge today, with the intention of shooting Wachlella Falls. made it to the falls okay, but probably should have done it a couple of months ago. lots of water coming over the falls, couldn't get too close because the spray fogged my lens after one or two shots, and it was pretty gloomy down there in the canyon... i did manage some nice pics of the basin at large, though...

IMG_9993_1sm.jpg

IMG_0006_1sm.jpg

IMG_0011_1cropsm.jpg

IMG_0037rdx_1sm.jpg

Nice shots Rocky. Wahclella is one of my favorite destinations in the gorge. I've posted a few on here as well. I've been planning on posting a few more but I'll wait.

I like the second shot. Granted, the last one, with your signature blurred water is really nice, but the second shot is a different view. The trail and the bridge make it clear this is someplace you hike to, and you can mentally put yourself into the image, hiking the trail and ending up at the falls.

I've been there many times Rocky, to get close up shots I bring a large micro-fiber cloth. My last shot there my technique was: Set exposure manually, focus for DOF, wipe lens and cover with hand, wait for a slight break in the waterfall spray, move hand take shot, wipe lens cover with hand, move hand take shot, repeat.... All while standing in the water balancing on a rock a few weeks after knee surgery. I got a couple clean shots and many lens misted ones as well as a water logged camera and lens for the effort. Final version here

Last edited:
i like your final version, Doug... you got "into it" a bit more than i did, since i didn't get down into the stream itself, but that lower perspective paid off. from that vantage point, though, i'm surprised you had so much spray... i didn't have any problem unless i got right up to the edge of the bank there, where the trail makes the turn toward the upper path...from farther back, it was much less misty, and i didn't have a spray problem....

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back