Where is this?

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

BobH

Administrator
Staff member
Cool song by a friend of mine, but for the moment I'm interested in the photos. Where was that first shot taken?

[YOUTUBE]FHD9jgO5SPA[/YOUTUBE]

I agree with Douglas. It's Mount Adams and likely Takhlakh Lake. Taken another time with much less snow.

3852692531_b824e95df1_z.jpg

Dang it! I'm pretty sure you're right.

I keep looking for a scene like this one with Mt Rainier. Yes, Reflection Lake is pretty close to that shot, and gorgeous, but it's a long ways to go. I'm hoping to find somewhere closer to home, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist. I was hoping this was some strange angle on Rainier that I'd overlooked.

You can pretty much match up the terrain. Reflection lake is much closer to you.

Yes, Reflection lake is close to me, but it's about a two hour drive on a good day. It's also inaccessible much of the year, and frozen over for quite a while.

That's why they have snow shoes Bob :D

OK, so let's say I hike in a couple miles to Reflection Lake. The problem is that when I get there, I'd find out that right now it's actually "No Reflection Snowfield", which pretty much removes my incentive to hike in...

I've been meaning to do that hike one of these days, I havent seen any good shots with snow cover from there. Might be one way to get a really original shot, at least, thats my plan.

Douglas, you can usually drive in during late spring and still find plenty of snow on the lake. Here's what it looked like on Memorial Day weekend. They had just opened the road the day before. Unfortunately, the weather didn't provide much opportunity for good images.

I would be looking for fairly fresh snow with lots on the trees. Not something I would typically expect in Spring.

Douglas, that makes sense... You want the fluffy snow Christmas card scenes. That would make for a pretty photo!

It looks like the best hike would to be park at Narada Falls and go from there. The trail is said to be about 1.5 miles each way. That would be a good workout on snowshoes. I don't know if they also allow you to hike the road when it's closed or not. If so, it might make for easier walking.

I don't know about that road, the first part of it past the trees looks like an avalanche waiting to happen. When I do it, my plan would be like you mentioned.

Two guys were talking in the ski lodge bar. They were discussing whether they would rather be above an avalanche and ride it out or below it and get out of the way.

One of them turned to the ski instructor and asked, "Where would you rather be, in that case?"

The instructor didn't even look up from his drink as he answered. "Right here."

Pops

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back