Whooo, whooo are in the woods?

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

JaniceL

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been hoping to catch the juvenile owls out and about in Tryon Creek State Park, in Portland. The Great Horned Owls are just peeking over the top of their nest. But the Barred Owls are starting to explore the branches near the ground.

Admittedly this little guy is pretty hard to see let alone photograph way up in the tree.
5715031420_9282ba8934_z.jpg

I did much better with the juvenile Barred Owls who were awkwardly clinging to branches close to the ground.
5714436611_ea502c87d3_b.jpg

5714436699_fdb106b928_b.jpg

The whole time, Momma keeps a watchful eye over her kids.
5714998548_ef14edae23_b.jpg

Damn, Janice. Those last two are sensational! I love the way the series reveals itself. Very clever... Awesome ! :)

WOW!!! Congrats! Especially on that last (and totally great!) shot. :)

I have birds...with beaks...count me out on those squishy hugs. ;)

WOW!!! Congrats! Especially on that last (and totally great!) shot. :)

I have birds...with beaks...count me out on those squishy hugs. ;)

LOL, you reminded me of friends of mine who had gotten married. He had a parrot when he got married that was given to him when is roommate left. His new wife could never get close to the bird. Then one day the bird tilted his head sideways just like he would when the bird wanted a kiss from her husband. Thrilled that the bird seemed to be warming up to her she bent down to give it a kiss too. To her surprise the bird quickly twisted his head and practically tore her lips off. With a baby on the way the bird was quickly adopted by his parents who ultimately both got along well with the bird. The bird was even okay with her when they visited.

OOW!! I had a nick on the lip from a small cockatiel once. But my worst bite was a very random and unexpected chunk of flesh taken out of my cheek by one of my two conures. In fact, he is my nicer bird. He had never did that before, and never did that again. Still, years later, I still remember that incident whenever he is snuggling against my face....it could happen again. I am glad that your friends bird found a home where he is loved and that all is well for all involved. (I like happy endings)

Now - sorry for the digression from the conversation on your beautiful owls!

Were these with your 200L?

The Bigma! What was the zoom length on the last two shots? Was it extended to the full 500? Or did you pull back some?

That was fully extended? WOW!!! That IS impressive. Well done, Janice. Is that your next lens purchase?

That was fully extended? WOW!!! That IS impressive. Well done, Janice. Is that your next lens purchase?

It is indeed a nice lens but I won't be purchasing any gear for a long time so I am grateful for the loan. But if I could purchase another lens and had to choose between that and the Canon 100-400 lens that I sold I would most likely choose the Sigma Bigma. I Love that extra reach.

Probably the last of my owl shots as the Great Horned Owls have fledged. This is a really highly cropped image with plenty of branches in the way. But it was a hard won sight of an adult feeding its owlet. I heard it and its sibling calling but had difficulty finding them with this being the only line of sight that I had. It was a true hunt.

5728076867_b95dbe52a5_b.jpg

Love it. That is really MY fave of the set. Touching. Candid. Natural.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back