Wildlife of Edmonds, WA. 2015

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
New year, new thread.

If anyone is interested in tracking our Edmonds area wildlife, here is my Edmonds Wildlife thread for 2013:
http://www.pnwphotos.com/forum/showthread.php?7934-Wildlife-of-Edmonds-WA

and 2014:
http://www.pnwphotos.com/forum/showthread.php?9587-Wldlife-of-Edmonds-WA-2014

New Year's Day I did all my birding from my back yard as I wanted to watch some bowl games. No problem, as the jay family is always lurking nearby, waiting for a handout. They are the perfect models, as they will work for peanuts. I shot these at -1 exposure compensation due to the low, bright, winter sun reflecting off the jays' feathers.
01.JPG

I believe there are five jays in the family. Even though one will call the others to dinner, it is still first come, first serve.
02.JPG

Dexter, the Anna's hummer who guards my backyard, is a regular visitor to the hummingbird feeders on my second story back deck since the onset of cold weather. I bring the feeders inside at night to keep them from freezing. Dexter will fly up to the deck to watch me hang them up the next morning.

Here is Dexter hovering around the feeder in the afternoon.
03.JPG

04.JPG

And here he is getting ready to bed down for the night. I don't know why, but he was extremely noisy as he perched in my rhodie bush. Maybe a rival male was nearby. His constant, rapid chatter sounded like a telegraph key. This is a good spot for him to go into his nightly hibernation, as it will receive the first rays of sunshine the next morning when the sun clears the tops of the tall Doug firs in Pine Ridge Park at the end of our court.
05.JPG

Last edited:
that first jay looks like a potential candidate for the Heimlich maneuver... i can't imagine he actually swallowed that whole thing!

that first jay looks like a potential candidate for the Heimlich maneuver... i can't imagine he actually swallowed that whole thing!

The jays have developed a technique for flying off with two peanuts at once. They will swallow the first peanut and pick up the second one to carry away in their mouths. The crows, on the other hand, can only fly off with a single peanut at a time.

Saturday (1/3) could have been titled "A Tale of Three Hummers."

Dexter chilling out (probably quite literally) in "his" rhodie bush in my backyard.
01.JPG

Weslie hanging out on the fence behind the #1 viewing platform of the marsh. He took off after I snapped this photo and flew straight down the boardwalk directly at us, then veered off a short distance from us.
02.JPG

McInroe hanging out in a tree beside the #3 viewing platform of the marsh.
03.JPG

While it was a slow bird day, hummers weren't the only avian action. There were a few killdeer in the marsh. Yes, that is ice behind the bird.
04.JPG

Some small birds, including this black-capped chickadee, were in the trees along the marsh walkway.
05.JPG

Last edited:
A flock of pine siskins invaded the marsh Tuesday (1/6) afternoon.

01.JPG

The flock would land on a single tree to feed.
02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

I call them "pig" siskins because they will plant themselves at my bird feeders and not budge until they have cleaned them out. They will also threaten other birds that try to land and feed.

Last edited:
Wonder if they are just early, or just passing though. Seems like they are ahead of schedule if they are here for a while.

Friday (1/9) I found an interesting variety of birds while visiting several disparate Edmonds locations/environs, all within a mile radius and view of each other.

Willow Creek Fish Hatchery:
My nemesis birds, the ruby-crowned kinglet and its cousin, the golden-crowned kinglet, were continuing their mission of teasing me with flashes of brilliance but no clear, pinpoint in-focus shots. :mad:

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
Pt. Edwards: From the fish hatchery I drove slowly up Pine St. while keeping an eye on noted raptor perches such as the telephone poles, lamp posts, and the Pt. Edwards eagles' family tree. I noticed something perched on the eagles' family tree. My first thought was that it was the Pt. Edwards merlin.
06.JPG

I parked and walked back to the tree. Yes, it was the Pt. Edwards' merlin, who remained perched on the tree for quite some time. The morning overcast did not make for good lighting.
07.JPG

08.JPG

09.JPG

Public Fishing Pier: The next stop after lunch was the fishing pier with Terry and my son Daren.

A pigeon guillemot in non-breeding plumage was bathing itself fairly close to the fishing pier.
10.JPG

Last edited:
More shots from the fishing pier.

A small flock of black scoters flew past the pier.
11.JPG

A common murre was a ways off, but I got it with the long end of my 100-400L zoom.
14.JPG

A rhinocerous auklet was much closer.
15.JPG

Sunset Avenue: A ringed-neck duck was swimming off Sunset Ave. I have photographed this species several times in the fresh water of Sprague Lake at Mini Park in nearby Lynnwood, but I think this was the first time I have photographed it in Edmonds in the salt water of Puget Sound.
12.JPG

13.JPG

Last edited:
I've really enjoyed your posts on the birding forum, Bill, and since I keep coming over here to see what photos you've been getting, I joined. So, thank you for introducing me to this forum!

Nancy: welcome to the photo forum. Do you photograph birds?

I feel like a real idiot as I did not know you are a professional photographer. Thanks for putting a link to your website on your signature line. Those are beautiful photos on your website.

People see my large, white Canon lenses and ask if I am a professional photographer. I tell them I have the best of both worlds: A professional's expenses and an amateur's income. :D

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back