Wildlife of Edmonds, WA. 2015

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

i may try to get down there to see if the Eurasian is still there. i have no shortage of close shots of green-winged teals from Juanita.

I now wish I had better shots of male American green-winged teals just to be able to compare them with the male Eurasian green-winged teal.

The snipe shots were taken with the 5DIII + 500L telephoto + 2x teleconverter, which adds up to a theoretical 1000mm telephoto lens. To put that into proper perspective, here are some shots of the same area taken with my 7D + 100-400L zoom using the short (100mm) end of the zoom lens. Factoring in the cropped (1.6x) sensor of the 7D, it makes for a theoretical 160mm shot looking into the sun. Good luck trying to find the snipes with your naked eye.

04.JPG

05.JPG

06.JPG

07.JPG

Last edited:
Saturday afternoon (3/21) Terry, Daren, and I found three snipes at the marsh in the usual location off the #1 viewing platform. Here are two snipes together. It was a sunny day, so I experimented with the 5DIII + 500L telephoto + 2x teleconverter, which in theory produces an 8.0/1000mm telephoto lens.

That worked quite well, Bill - way better than my shots with the 500 and the 1.4x

Tuesday (3/24/15) I finally got some photos of local wildlife that was not birds.

The marsh coyote made his annual spring cameo appearance. This is the spot on the far south side of the marsh where I usually photograph him in March or April.
5DIII + 500L telephoto + 1.4x teleconverter, tripod mounted.
01.JPG

5DIII + 500L telephoto + 2x teleconverter, tripod mounted.
02.JPG

Two or three years ago I photographed him with his tail stripped completely bare. He might have caught it while scooting under a cyclone fence. The hair on the tail appears to be slowly growing back.
03.JPG

A whale was surfacing far out in Puget Sound as I was on the fishing pier. One person watching the whale believed it was the smaller (calf?) of the two humpback whales which have been spending the month in Puget Sound off Edmonds.
5DIII + 100-400L telephoto zoom+ 1.4x teleconverter, hand held.
04.JPG

No tall dorsal fin like the orca have.
05.JPG

Last edited:
Some bird shots from Tuesday (3/24).

A song sparrow was looking for food below the boardwalk and #1 viewing platform of the marsh.
01.JPG

Two Spanish speaking laborers were working in the area behind the #1 viewing platform. Wesley enjoyed the Latin music coming from their boom box.
02.JPG

The changing water levels in the marsh brought about by the seasonal opening of the tide gate has caused green-winged teals and snipes to hunt in the waterway closest to the #1 viewing platform. There is a narrow window of opportunity for viewing the snipes. They hunt when the water has receded to just below the bottom of the plants. They remain hidden in the plants on the higher ground when the water level is above or below that mark.

There are three snipes and two green-winged teals in this photo.
03.JPG

The female kingfisher was active at the marina. That is Jerome, one of our local bird photographers, standing in the background taking her photo as she prepares to take off.
04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
Great action on the kingfisher, Bill!

Here's the only 'keeper' shot of the Wilson's Snipe that I made yesterday (Tues). Just after I left the No. 1 Platform I heard Dave say "its in the clear!!!" So, my reputation stands! :)
1/1250s f5.6 ISO 1250 700mm 5diii

3-24-2015 Wilson's Snipe_3770.JPG

Last edited:
Reviewing this thread, I have been photographing snipes at the marsh since January. I am asked if they nest in the marsh. I don't think they do as I don't recall seeing any in the summer. With at least five birds currently present in the marsh, I'll try to keep a better eye on them as we progress into the spring and summer months with no R's.

Here are five more photos from Tuesday's snipe hunt. I cannot resist taking photos of snipes even though I ponder over how many look-alike snipe photos I really need.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

To put my telephoto shots into perspective, check back to post #182 at the top of this page to see how these birds are virtually invisible to the naked eye.

Last edited:
Thursday (3/26) shots from the marsh.

Three kingfishers were making a racket while chasing each other over the marina. I don't know know if it was mating or territorial related..... or both.
01.JPG

Wesley spent a longer time than usual hunting for bugs by the fir trees near the #1 viewing platform.
02.JPG

03.JPG

While walking back to his car to get a jacket, fellow photographer Chris spotted a snipe in the circular mudflat just off the boardwalk between the #1 and #2 viewing platforms.
04.JPG

Snipes don't like to stay in open mud flats after the tide recedes. I got a not-so-great shot of it running through the grass. Snipes appear to elongate as they run.
05.JPG

Although my son Daren will turn 29 next month, he is disabled and intellectually stuck at about age 5. He has been unable to work since 2008 and has spent the past 5-6 years tagging along with me while I photograph local birds. I have asked him many times if he wanted to take photos as well, but he always said no until last Thursday. Out of the blue he started asking me about cameras and taking photographs.

Friday (3/27) I set him up with my Canon 7D + 4.0/70-200L telephoto zoom lens. Here are some shots he took of birds as we were snipe hunting at the marsh. I did a little cropping, something I routinely do to my own photos as well. I think the photos turned out well for his first effort.

Black-capped chickadee.
01.JPG

I don't know if it was excavating a nesting burrow or digging for food.
02.JPG

A crow gathering moss to line a nest.
03.JPG

04.JPG

Another of the evil minions of the Dark Lord usurping Wesley's regular perch behind the #1 viewing platform.
05.JPG

Last edited:
We caught three snipes on the far bank of the waterway closest to the #1 viewing platform during that "water level" window of opportunity I have discussed earlier. As much as I enjoy taking photos of snipes, I must admit that the photos can start to look alike if one is not careful. For a change of pace, here are some photos of a snipe bathing and grooming.

5DIII + 500L telephoto zoom + 2x teleconverter, tripod mounted.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
Although my son Daren will turn 29 next month, he is disabled and intellectually stuck at about age 5. He has been unable to work since 2008 and has spent the past 5-6 years tagging along with me while I photograph local birds. I have asked him many times if he wanted to take photos as well, but he always said no until last Thursday. Out of the blue he started asking me about cameras and taking photographs.

Friday (3/27) I set him up with my Canon 7D + 4.0/70-200L telephoto zoom lens. Here are some shots he took of birds as we were snipe hunting at the marsh. I did a little cropping, something I routinely do to my own photos as well. I think the photos turned out well for his first effort.

This is impressive, Bill - GREAT JOB Daren!

Saturday (3/28) Terry, Daren, and I saw two white-crowned sparrows chasing each other at the marina. Here are photos of one of them.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back