Wildlife of Edmonds, WA. 2015

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

During our late afternoon visit we witnessed a gull steal a scrap of food from an evil minion of the Dark Lord.

The chase is on.
01.JPG

02.JPG

The crow dropped the food.
03.JPG

04.JPG

It was caught in mid-air by one of the pursuing gulls.
05.JPG

Last edited:
I wanted to see how well my new 100-400L II telephoto zoom + 1.4x III teleconverter would track small birds in flight. These are two photos of a violet green swallow soaring over the marsh 100-200 yards away from the #1 viewing platform. I waited until the swallow flew high enough to where there was nothing but sky in the background so the camera would lock onto the bird and not the background.

01.JPG

02.JPG

Last edited:
Thursday (5/7) after lunch, Terry, Daren, and I found a small flock of six least sandpipers in the mudflat off the #1 viewing platform of the marsh. This is the spot where we were photographing snipes last month and the closest we have seen sandpipers to date. [/B]

are those least sandpipers, or western? if the birds in the last photo were out on the "main" mudflat, you'd be hard pressed to even SEE a least sandpiper that far away... they're really tiny! for comparison, i got this shot of one of them standing near a killdeer, and the killdeer is at least twice the size of the sandpiper! the killdeer was a foot or so closer to me than the sandpiper - both were about 50 feet away...

IMG_4901_zps85i0xzf4.jpg

Last edited:
are those least sandpipers, or western? if the birds in the last photo were out on the "main" mudflat, you'd be hard pressed to even SEE a least sandpiper that far away... they're really tiny!

I think there are two separate flocks in the marsh. Friday morning (5/8) I saw two birds that looked like least sandpipers in the mud nearest the #1 viewing platform.
01.JPG

Later that afternoon I saw a flock of eight sandpipers out in the "main" mudflat. I believe they were westerns.
02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

At the same time, I spotted one of the least sandpipers in the same spot I had seen it in the morning. As Rocky noted, least sandpipers are very tiny, about the same size as song sparrows, which also look for food in the mud.
05.JPG

Last edited:
I saw a marsh wren off the #2 viewing platform. I believe it was taking a bug back to a nest to feed babies, as it did not chatter as it perched atop the cattail.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

Every year at least two pairs of Canada geese have broods in the marsh. Friday I saw one group of goslings out for a walk with their parent. This may have been the same adult which attacked the juvie eagle last week. The marsh is a very dangerous place for goslings, as it is home to coyotes and raptors including hawks, eagles, and falcons.
01.JPG

02.JPG

Wesley assumed lookout duty as he perched on top of the tallest tree behind the #1 viewing platform.
03.JPG

I title this series: The Hummer Has Landed.

Wesley landing on the tallest tree behind the #1 viewing platform Saturday (5/9) afternoon. I have now photographed landing sequences of our smallest (hummers) and largest (herons and eagles) local birds.

5DIII + 100-400L II zoom + 1.4x III teleconverter
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
I usually see the marsh coyote once a year. Sunday evening (5/10) marked the third time I have seen it this year.

Daren: 7D + 100-400L zoom, uncropped @ 100mm.
01.JPG

cropped @ 400mm.
Periodically the coyote paused to eat grass or other plants. He would then lick his chops after finishing.
02.JPG

Bill: 5DIII + 500L + 1.4x teleconverter, cropped.
Stalking a heron.
03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
When we first arrived at the marsh, we suspected a predator was in the area south of Willow Creek due to the constant raucous raised by the crows. I assumed it was an eagle. The coyote appeared and spent quite some time prowling back and forth across the marsh.

He was harassed by the evil minions of the Dark Lord for much of the time.
06.JPG

The coyote got dirty legs from wadiing through the mud.
07.JPG

Staking a pair of mallards.
08.JPG

My, what big teeth you have!
09.JPG

Digging for dinner?
10.JPG

Last edited:
nice catch on the osprey, Bill! looks like he got himself a nice flounder... fish an' chips to go!

Monday evening (5/11) I went to the marsh while Daren was at tennis class. I was going to be there for less than an hour and the light was fading, so I did not bother setting up the super telephoto package. I regretted that decision, for I spotted a lone semi-palmated plover among a group of western(?) sandpipers.

All shots: 5DIII + 100-400L II telephoto zoom + 1.4x III teleconverter, very close cropping
01.JPG

At first glance the semi-palmated plover resembles the killdeer, but is much smaller. The plover's small size is very apparent when it is among western sandpipers, one of the smallest shorebirds.
02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

I caught a killdeer (far left) and the semi-palmated plover (far right) in the same shot. You can see how much larger the killdeer is compared to the plover.
05.JPG

Continued

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back