Wildlife of Edmonds, WA. 2016

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Wednesday (5/25) the baby chickadees in the nest box near #1 viewing platform of the marsh were getting fed. These were taken with my 100-400L II telephoto zoom. I returned Thursday and Friday with the 500L + 1.4x TC but saw no action.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

A spawn of the evil minions of the Dark Lord was walking around the boardwalk Friday (5/27) afternoon. It may have left its nest too soon. Its parents and a robin were raising &*^%$ in the nearby bushes. Taken with the 7D + 24-105L wide angle zoom.

001.JPG

002.JPG

Maybe it is just the reflected light but the eyes on this youngster look quite blue. I guess they change to black as they age-interesting shot.

Just as I was wondering about the seasonal presence of Caspian terns, two showed up Wednesday night evening for fish off Sunset Ave. Terns prefer to travel in pairs because one good tern deserves another. ;)

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

Last edited:
A bad back and poor lighting have kept me from posting any photos for the past 2+ weeks. Monday afternoon (6/13) started out overcast and my back was feeling better, so Daren and I made the usual rounds in hopes of getting some photos.

A red-wing blackbird fledgling was engaged in serious panhandling at the retention pond at the end of the Pt. Edwards walkway.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

A female looking for bugs under the lily pads.
05.JPG

Later that evening some Caspian terns were looking for fish at high tide off Sunset Ave.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

A pair of killdeer have a nest somewhere at the Edmonds playfields and were doing the "crippled bird" act. One bird was doing it in the street, which is not very smart.
001.JPG

Its mate was not in the street. I never did see the nest, but I didn't look very hard as I did not want to get too close.
002.JPG

Tuesday morning (6/21) I was photographing a train passing below Sunset Ave. when I noticed an osprey diving for a fish in the underwater dive park. I only had the 7D + 24-105L wide angle zoom on me as I had left the 5DIII + 100-400L telephoto zoom in the pickup. :mad:

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

The osprey flew up Sunset Ave. past my red pickup.
04.JPG

Last edited:
The osprey landed on a light fixture on Sunset Ave and began to fillet the fish.
05.JPG

06.JPG

It may have felt threatened by nearby gulls as it flew to the top of a telephone pole on nearby Edmonds St.
07.JPG

The osprey gave a dirty look to a crow that flew by.
08.JPG

The crow felt it best not to provoke the osprey and settled for scraps of fish that had fallen on the driveway below the pole.
09.JPG

Last edited:
From Tuesday morning (8/16/16).

The lone raven continues to hang out in the vicinity of the parking lot at the south end of the Edmonds Marina between Admiral Way and the railroad tracks. Initially I did not see the raven up in the tree, but its calls were quite distinctive.
01.JPG

02.JPG

Unlike earlier this summer, the evil minions of the Dark Lord did not chase or harass the raven. I suspect it is because the crows' babies have all fledged and left the nest.
03.JPG

The raven flew to a telephone pole by the railroad tracks, then returned to the tree.
04.JPG

05.JPG

Good shots, Bill! So great to see you out and about!!!!
We see and hear, I think, the same bird at our place. I'm worried he or she lost its mate!

Terry

My son and I went down to the marsh Monday afternoon (8/22). I knew that photo ops would be limited due to the bright sunshine reflecting off the mud flats, but I took a few shots anyway.

Several tree swallows were flying over the marsh.
01.JPG

02.JPG

These two mystery, finch-like birds were chasing each other before landing on the tree where Wesley usually perches.
03.JPG

04.JPG

Mystery sandpipers. They were too far away for me to identify with the 100-400L zoom and I knew better than to drag out the 500L telephoto under these lighting conditions.
05.JPG

The two mystery birds are really bugging me. I looked through some bird books and the closest I came up was the pine siskin, but the bills of the birds in my photos look too dark and they have no striping on their breasts. Here is another photo if it will help identify birds.

06.JPG

I posted a link to the photos on Tweeters. So far there have been two votes for the American goldfinch, our state bird.

Last edited:
My shots from Tuesday (8/23) evening's golden hour at the Edmonds Marsh with the 5DIII + 100-400L II telephoto zoom. Due to the harsh horizontal sunlight, I was shooting in Tv mode at 1/1000, f/5.6 (camera default setting) using -2/3 exposure compensation.

A kingfisher was perched in a tree above Willow Creek on the far south side of the marsh. It began chattering loudly, so I was on the alert for some avian action.
01.JPG

The kingfisher began chasing a bird across the marsh. I assumed it was another kingfisher, as I see this often during mating season and when the birds are settling territorial disputes. I followed my usual policy of "shoot first and ask questions later."

While I was shooting, I discovered that the kingfisher was not chasing another of its species but a small juvenile raptor, probably a Cooper's hawk.
02.JPG

The kingfisher broke off pursuit about halfway across the marsh.
03.JPG

04.JPG

A swallow briefly took up the chase.
05.JPG

Last edited:
The hawk continued north across the marsh, headed for the hedge behind the boardwalk.
06.JPG

The hawk flew across the boardwalk, then made a sharp right turn and headed towards the trees east of the #2 viewing platform. It flew past a family standing on the boardwalk. By now the hawk was in the shade, but things were happening too fast for me to adjust the exposure compensation from -2/3 back to 0. I did some post processing to lighten up these two shots.
07.JPG

08.JPG

It continued past an observer on the #2 viewing platform.
09.JPG

The hawk was back in the sunlight when it disappeared into the trees.
10.JPG

Last edited:
The past two years (2014 and 2015) I have seen merlin fledglings hunting dragonflies at the Edmonds marsh in late summer-early autumn. Wednesday afternoon (8/31) I photographed what I thought (hoped?) was a merlin fledgling at the marsh.
01.JPG

When I examined my photos at home, I began to wonder if the "merlin" was on fact a kestrel.
04.JPG

05.JPG

07.JPG

Local raptor expert Bud Anderson confirmed that the bird was a female kestrel. It is only the second time I have seen a kestrel in Edmonds. My other sighting was a male at the marsh a year or two ago. I suspect both birds were just passing through town.

An evil minion of the Dark Lord began chasing the kestrel, which I last saw heading toward the Sound.
08.JPG

Note: Bud Anderson will be giving a talk on raptors at Bird Fest.
http://www.pugetsoundbirdfest.com/index.php/schedule-for-event

Last edited:
Sunday (9/4) my son Daren and I went down to the waterfront to check out the newly reopened fishing pier. The pier has been closed all summer for extensive rebuilding. We caught two of the marina's resident kingfishers (probably Don and Katy) chasing each other.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

Katy flew over to the salmon sculptors. That is not snow on the rocks. Gulls took advantage of people being kept off the marina during construction to roost on the marina's north breakwater.
04.JPG

Katy welcomes everyone back to the fishing pier.
05.JPG

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back