Wildlife of Edmonds, WA.

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Great blue herons do not like to be too close to one another. Tuesday (10-8) one flew into the marsh from the direction of the marina and landed too close to another heron already in the marsh. The second heron took of after the first heron and eventually chased it out of the marsh. Here are five shots from the sequence.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Three male black scoters were in the water below Sunset Ave. Wednesday morning (10-9). According to my local bird book, the black scoter is the least common scoter seen in our area.
01.JPG

Even the evil minions of the Dark Lord have to eat, and this one was hunting for spiders on the #2 viewing platform of the marsh.
02.JPG

Down at the #1 platform, Weslie was hunting for bugs.
03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
The black scoters should have been the avian highlight of the day, but I got a call from Terry shortly after noon which would change that. Terry had ridden his bike down to Marina Beach and called to report that the Pt. Edwards eagles were back. Our local eagles disappear around mid August and return around mid October.

I drove up to Pt. Edwards and photographed them in one of their family trees in the backyard of the house at the end of Point Edwards Pl.
06.JPG

07.JPG

08.JPG

09.JPG

10.JPG

I wonder if their two first year babies will return as well.

Last edited:
The eagles' family tree at the top of Pine St. was full of cedar waxwings.
11.JPG

12.JPG

The waxwings took off, circled, and headed southwest.
13.JPG

14.JPG

A great series, Bill. Hopefully we will get some opportunities to photograph the Waxwings again...its been a while. Maybe things are picking up, bird wise :)

The horned grebes are back!

Not sure you got out, Bill, so here's my contribution for the day (Oct. 10) :)

From the Edmonds beach near the pier. Canon 40D 400mm f5.6L

10-10-2013 Horned Grebe_0879.JPG

Saturday (10/12) near sunset, a Wilson's snipe was spotted at the marsh. It is only the second time I have seen a snipe at the marsh in the fall, the first being November of last year. My other snipe sightings have been in the spring. According to my local bird book, the snipe may spend the winter at the marsh.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

Wow, great eye and shots, Bill. Were you using your 5Diii and 400+1.4x??

That is what I was using. I cannot take credit for spotting the snipe as it was pointed out to me by some birders. It was in the same location as the ones we photographed last spring.

I am behind in posting up shots. Here are some from Friday (10/11).

Some black-capped chickadees put on a show at the marsh as they searched for food.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
Wesley was happy just to pose.

06.JPG

Sticking his tongue out at me.
07.JPG

Cleaning his bill.
08.JPG

Staring down the camera.
09.JPG

Stretching.
10.JPG

I met Terry after lunch and we ran into Dave at the marina. We saw many Heermann's gulls skimming the water. We could not figure what they were doing until we saw what looked like patches of raindrops hitting water. A large school of tiny fish was below the water and the "raindrops" were the fish jumping out of the water. The gulls were skimming the surface trying to snag the fish.
11.JPG

12.JPG

13.JPG

A kingfisher on its classic perch.
14.JPG

Terry had to return home. Dave and I made time to take a walk through Yost Park where we saw a hairy woodpecker.
15.JPG

The snipe was not the only photogenic bird at the marsh Saturday (10-13) afternoon before sunset.

Great blue heron
01.JPG

Kingfisher
02.JPG

Wesley
03.JPG

American wigeons
04.JPG

05.JPG

My two cents worth from Oct. 11.

A somewhat ethereal/abstract shot of the Heermanns Gull skimming the water
1-11-2013 Heermans Gull _0974.JPG

X marks the spot for the male Kingfisher
10-11-22013 x marks the spot_0900.JPG

Wesley was quite busy Sunday (10/13) checking out the intruders to his territory near the #1 viewing platform of the marsh.

First to arrive was that pesky juvie hummer (r).
01.JPG

02.JPG

Next up was a pair of Savanna sparrows.
03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back