Window Watching - Birds Visiting My Gardens

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

nice shots, Debbie! i love those little guys... so small, yet they sound like 3x their size! rather "bouncy", too, so good job catching them sitting still!

Thank you! Waiting for more birds to reappear around here. Been a long month with a bay window going in adjacent to one tree and the saw etc under another tree. 250 ft of cedar fencing replaced this week as old fence fell down in late February. At least one more week of noise and commotion outside!

Anna's Hummingbird at the Garden Spa

Sunbathing on a Spring Afternoon

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 265
Good shot. I seldom get a hummer at my feeder these days, but I enjoy photographing the free range ones at the marsh.

Nice shot, Debbie. I have seen a couple of Rufous Hummers within the past week - but only glimpses. This shot of the male is from May 1st 2013 - so we should be keeping our eyes open!

5-1-2013 m rufous_6346.JPG

birds and the crabapple blossoms

I always look forward to photographing the birds in among the blossoms!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 228
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 230
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 234
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 225
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 245
Ruby-crowned Kinglet

Boy, this little fellow is in constant motion! I have been attempting to keep tracking as long as he is in the tree, not just when he is in plain sight. Whew, glad to have a few shots to show for my efforts. :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 236
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 225
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 217
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 236
The kinglets are some of the most difficult birds to photograph. They are small, stay in constant motion, and seldom come out into the open.

Joe, I smile every time I see one of your kinglet shots, they are vibrant with color and wonderful detail - while I capture these drab little guys with the big eyes and no neck. Maybe someday soon one will pose in the sun for me!

not so sure what "pishing" is, but i find that standing very still close to a thicket does wonders!

IMG_8253cropsma_zps42694d56.jpg

Terry, I tried some commercial suet a few times and the only consistent visitors seemed to be starlings and squirrels. I began making my own suet and now have a wide range of visitors who continue to keep coming back! Unfortunately this includes the darn starlings; squirrels not so much since I've included cayenne pepper flakes!

Suet comes in an amazing variety of types and styles. Like most things, the better it is, the more it costs.

I've bought some cheap 12 packs from the local feed store and while the birds be-grudgingly eat it, it's not all that popular. It's mostly lard or whatever they make the stuff from.

I also buy some better quality stuff, with specific recipes. It's much better and is eaten quickly. I buy a peanut blend and a woodpecker blend. The Jays love the peanut one, and I am getting Palliated Woodpeckers on a frequent basis, as well as lots of Flickers. They really like the stuff!

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back