Alpental

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

squirl033

Super Moderator
Staff member
one of the shots i got over New Year's weekend... the mountains near Alpental. the image was rather uninteresting in color, so i converted to B&W. not sure if it's any more interesting, but i like it better... 5D, 24-135 @ 57mm, 1/60 @ f/11...

IMG_5803BWsm.jpg

It is a nice composition but I'd like to see the snow and the cloud just a touch whiter.

i used the saturataion control in Irfanview for the basic conversion, then tweaked it a bit in PS to adjust the grayscale tones...

From what I have gathered...you started with it in color and de-colorized it? Just thought of something, if you take color out of a print...do you have nothing? or is it naturaly B&W?

If so, then this is Digital version of B&W film versus color film, I see the use of B&W in Digital, but never had any reason to use B&W in film, even though it was cheaper.

Snuffy, if you remove the color, you get black & white.

there are two ways to achieve B&W images with digital. one is to select "monochrome" or the equivalent setting in the camera before you shoot. the other is to de-saturate the image in post processing. i prefer the latter, since once you shoot the pic in monochrome in your camera, you can't add color, you have to switch back to color settings and take the photo again.

Thanks Rocky... I've never used Irfanview and not familiar with it. I've been using PS CS3 and it seems to do an OK job. I'm waiting for the CS5 that I ordered and looking forward to seeing if it is any better. I was just playing around with an HDR image set in Photomatix and got a pretty good result in B&W there. I agree that I would prefer not to shoot in camera B&W for the same reasons you stated, and I've heard the results are not very good.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back