Cat photo

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Judy N

This is my cat in a rare moment of posing. Nothing like your photos, Nina or Janice.

Last edited:
How ever did you get Nubian (my cat) to sit still long enough for that shot? :D

Right place, right time with camera in hand. Does everyone have a black cat? This is Cinders and she is the queen of the house.

Judy, that's a pretty good shot, and a nice looking cat. He/She looks quite regal sitting there like that.

Next time you might try Nina's trick of over-exposing just a touch to try and bring out a bit more detail in the fur. Maybe do a bracketed set of photos and see which works the best.

Judy, that's a pretty good shot, and a nice looking cat. He/She looks quite regal sitting there like that.

Next time you might try Nina's trick of over-exposing just a touch to try and bring out a bit more detail in the fur. Maybe do a bracketed set of photos and see which works the best.

Thanks for the tip Bob.

Thanks for the tip Bob.

You're welcome, but Nina deserves the credit. She's taught us to check the histogram and make sure we have some blinking highlights on stuff that doesn't matter. In agility, they have candy striped poles that work great for that, you try to get the white part overblown just a bit. In your case, since he's struck a pose, you've got time to experiment a bit. Even if you don't like the pose, you could do some test shots to see what works, so all you need to do is find him sitting still someplace. I've heard cats nap occasionally, so that might work...

When you over-expose a bit, it brings out details in the fur, and more importantly on many dogs, it also allows you to see their eyes, which otherwise can blend into the fur. (Then you can't tell if you got the right end of the dog! :))

On a related note, depending on what you're metering off of, you may actually find you have to under-expose. If you meter off of his black fur, the camera may try and make that light grey and end up going too much exposure. My suggestion of bumping it up a bit would be most applicable if you metered off a grey card or other neutral subject, then kept those settings.

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back