Edmonds Eagles 2014/15

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Taken from the Pt. Edwards walkway Saturday (2/28) afternoon.

It looks as though the Pt. Edwards eagles may have babies again this year. :eek:
01.JPG

02.JPG

One of the Pt. Edwards eagles was perched at its usual hangout off the Senior Center Tuesday afternoon (3/3).
01.JPG

My son and I walked the fishing pier and caught two gulls and a pelagic cormorant fighting over a crab that the cormorant had captured.
02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

One of the gulls was just about to fly off with part of the crab when the unexpected happened........
05.JPG

The eagle crashed the party, putting an abrupt end to the food fight.
06.JPG

The eagle scooped up the piece of crab that the gull had dropped in the water .....
07.JPG

.... and flew the crab morsel back to the piling where it ate it.
08.JPG

Two pelagic cormorants floating in the Sound dove for cover as the eagle neared them.
09.JPG

10.JPG

The action happened so quickly that I was unable to dial back my exposure setting to compensate for the low afternoon sunlight reflecting off the bright, white feathers of the gulls and eagle. The eagle later flew over the marina so low and so close that my telephoto lens was unable to focus on it. It was headed toward the marsh, where it might have stopped to take a bath in Willow Creek and wash off the salt water.

Last edited:
Last Saturday (3/7) I saw one of the Pt. Edwards eagles sitting in its nest. I don't know if it has laid eggs, as later in the day I saw at three, possibly four adults circling high over Pt. Edwards, the marina, and the marsh.
001.JPG

Monday afternoon (3/9) I was at Brackett's Landing and photographed one of the Hutt Park pair perched on the family spar at Hutt Park, at least a mile away as the eagle flies.
01.JPG

A little later a (first year?) juvie circled over town. It is that time of year when juvies start appearing in Edmonds, much to the consternation of the resident adult breeding pairs.
02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

Last edited:
Great shots, Bill! Could some of these juvies be from last years' nest in Edmonds? Or do they leave the area after they leave the nest?

Great shots, Bill! Could some of these juvies be from last years' nest in Edmonds? Or do they leave the area after they leave the nest?

Possibly. I have no idea what the juvies do after they leave the nest other than they have 3-4 years of "freedom" before they start looking for mates and nesting territories.

Wednesday afternoon (3/11) I spotted one of the Pt. Edwards eagles bathing in Willow Creek on the south edge of the marsh.
01.JPG

It flew to the top of a telephone pole by the railroad tracks to dry off.
02.JPG

03.JPG

I relocated and got some close shots. Note the feathers of the back are much darker than those of the wings.
04.JPG

The eagles raised its wings to allow the wind to blow underneath them.
05.JPG

Last edited:
Thursday afternoon (3/19) the Pt.Edwards eagles were chasing each other over the marina. I last saw them flying southeast over the marsh back towards Pt. Edwards. I later got a report from Debbie Lynne Chally that they had flown side-by-side over Sunset Ave./Edmonds Way/Hwy. 104 near City Park.

Daren and I drove to the marsh in hope that the pair would wind up there. One flew in for a drink from Willow Creek. It remained long enough for me to set up the tripod + 5DIII + 500L telephoto lens + 1.4x teleconverter at the #2 viewing platform for some long distance shots across the marsh.

Here are five of my many shots. Although it was dark and overcast, I still had to use negative exposure compensation to avoid blowing out the bright white head and tail feathers.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
Monday afternoon (3/23) one of the Pt. Edwards eagles was perched on the piling off the Senior Center near the ferry dock. The gulls gave me advance warning when it flew overhead as I was standing in the parking lot.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

It took advantage of the wind to spend several minutes circling the downtown.

Nice shots, Bill. The eagle pair were 'doing it' just as we drove in our drive this afternoon. They were in the tall fir tree adjacent to our next door neighbors drive. Of course, by the time I got to my camera in the house, they had flown off...story of my life :)

Friday (3/27) I swung by the "new" nest of the Hutt Park eagles. One of the eagles (female?) was sitting in the nest. I set up my tripod + 5DIII + 500L telephoto lens + 2x teleconverter for some shots. Three of the neighbors stopped by to chat and one let me go up on his front deck to take more photos. Imagine being able to watch an active eagles' nest while sipping your morning latte/cappuccino/mocha/foo-foo coffee from your front deck.
01.JPG

02.JPG

Nest sitting is tiring.
03.JPG

Grooming.
04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
Monday afternoon (3/30) my son and I were at the marsh when we saw a juvie bald eagle sitting on the Pt. Edwards family tree at the top of Pine St. We drove up to investigate and saw what appeared to be a second year juvie due to its still dark head and tail feathers. It might be one of the two 2014 Pt. Edwards eaglets.

01.JPG

The juvie took off and flew around the tree.
02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
I was so "focused" on photographing the juvie circling the tree that I failed to notice the reason for its sudden departure.
06.JPG

07.JPG

I was completely unaware of the arrival of the adult until I heard its screeching. Eagles are good parents, but once the eaglets have flown the nest, they are not welcome back.
08.JPG

09.JPG

This adult appears to have some kind of damage on the right side of its beak, which will hep identify it in the future.
10.JPG

It was about a year ago that Terry, Janine, and I photographed several juvies and a lone adult harassing the Pt. Edwards pair while trying to steal their prey.

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back