Parkscapes

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
From Monday, 10-8-18.

The marsh can take on an aura of mystery on a rainy, overcast October day.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
While Friday afternoon (10-19-18) was clear and sunny up at my house, Puget Sound and the low lying areas remained fogged in all day.

IMG_0001.jpg

Autumn leaves on the boardwalk.

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

The fog hid development and the condos at Pt. Edwards, which made the marsh look as though it was miles from civilization.

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Late Sunday afternoon (10-21-18) shots of the marsh at sunset as we enter mid autumn. The autumn colors have been very good this year as we have not had any rain or wind storms to knock the leaves off the trees.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

Not quite a full moon was rising over Harbor Square.

IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
The last day of autumn (12-20-18) at the marsh. The days will start getting longer, but not necessarily sunnier, from now through the summer solstice next June.

IMG_0001.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
I drove down to the marsh Monday (2-4-19) afternoon for some snow shots.
IMG_0001.jpg

It had snowed the night before and the temps stayed in the low 20's all day. The wind was really bad near the Sound, which made me think of the marsh scene from the movie Derzu Uzala.

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

I did not stay out long due to the windchill.

IMG_0004.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Snowmagedon has been forecast this weekend for the Puget Sound Region. It began afternoon (2-8-19) and I went down to the marsh for photographs.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Friday afternoon (2-15-2019) I was down at the marsh hoping to photograph birds. This month's combination of heavy snow, high winds, and rain has flattened the remains of last year's cattails and rushes. Many of our viewing and photo angles have been restored after being taken away by last year's explosive growth of the foliage in the marsh. It will be interesting to see what happens this spring and summer of 2019.

From the boardwalk. Compare these photos with ones I took last summer.

01.jpg

02.jpg

"The pond" is visible from the board walk once again.

03.jpg

The waterway closest to the #1 viewing platform, where we see snipes during lower water levels, is now visible as well.

04.jpg

The cattails off the #2 (main) viewing platforms have been smashed down. The swallow box is once again fully visible.

05.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
More shots, taken Sunday afternoon (3-10-19), of the foliage at the marsh that has been beaten down by this winter's snow, rain, and wind. It will be interesting to see if the foliage bounces back with super growth like it did last year.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
From the boardwalk that goes out to the #1 viewing platform.

IMG_0005.jpg

The "pond" off the boardwalk

IMG_0006.jpg

and the waterway nearest the #1 viewing platform are now visible.

IMG_0007.jpg

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
The foliage in the marsh never did grow back to its 2018 level. Here are some photos I look Labor Day (9-2-19). Compare these photos to ones I took last year, starting on 6-30-18.
http://www.pnwphotos.com/forum/index.php?threads/parkscapes.8187/page-5

The rushes were badly beaten down this past winter, which may have prevented new growth from poking through this spring and summer.

01.jpg

Last year's explosive growth of foliage blocked the small passage between the nearby waterway and the "pond." The "pond" is now separated from the waterway and does not drain when the water flows out of the marsh during low tide. Last year's foliage was so high and dense that it blocked views of the "pond" and nearby waterways from the boardwalk and viewing platforms #1 and #2.

02.jpg

Close ups from the boardwalk of the beaten down rushes.
03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

The cattails have grown back, but not as high as last year.

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
Several Edmonds area photographers recently got more than our 15 minutes of fame (a reference probably not understood by anyone under 60) when our photos were used in a study of the Edmonds marsh by Windward Environmental LLC for the city of Edmonds.

Presentation to the City Council. My photos are on pages 49-52.
http://www.edmondswa.gov/images/COE...nal_Edmonds_Marsh_Presentation_Oct_1_2019.pdf

The final report of the study.
http://www.edmondswa.gov/images/COE...Final_Baseline_Study_Data_Report_09-13-19.pdf

Photos from several local photographers appear in Appendix I11 of the final report. Mine were used in appendix I12, starting on page 567.
http://www.edmondswa.gov/images/COE...Baseline_Monitoring_Report_Appendices_A-I.pdf

Bill Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
It will be interesting to see if the foliage bounces back with super growth like it did last year.

In their study of the marsh for the city of Edmonds, Windward Environmental LLC discovered that the mechanism of the tidal gate broke during the summer of 2018, causing the tidal gate to remain shut for several weeks. This prevented salt water from Puget Sound from flowing into the marsh during high tide until the malfunction was found and repaired. After looking at my photos, Windward consultants believe this temporary lack of sea water to retard the growth of plants intolerant to salt may have been the cause of the explosive growth seen in 2018 but not seen in prior years or in 2019.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com