Share photos of your guest to your bird feeders here :)

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Been waiting all day to get the last shot. Probably the best I'll get today. I finally determined that there is a committed pair. One would watch while the other fed. the interloper was chased off.

First there was one.
Just one.jpg

Incoming
Incoming.jpg

Then there were two.jpg

Party's over
Then there were three.jpg

You are doing very well to get two hummers in one photo. Three is outstanding.

I called it quits and did something productive with the rest of the day. I had a hard time catching them with my telephoto and low light. I then decided to try my 100mm 2.8 macro since they were very friendly to me. :) It was a good choice.

I called it quits and did something productive with the rest of the day. I had a hard time catching them with my telephoto and low light. I then decided to try my 100mm 2.8 macro since they were very friendly to me. :) It was a good choice.

A while back I used my 24-105L zoom mounted on a tripod with a remote cable shutter release. This enabled the camera to be close to the feeder while I stepped back so as not scare the hummers.

Dexter spent Friday (12/6) flying back and forth between the feeders and his favorite perches. I saw him chase two other hummers out of my backyard.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

I put up a little heat light for the hummers... one has pretty well hung around all day.... I dont know if this is a Rufus or an Anna...

hummy.jpg

Definitely an Anna's. They stay here year around whereas the Rufus should all have left the PNW by October.

We have a tiny yard, and have only been using feeders the last couple years. Still, it's been fun seeing who shows up. Generally we don't get a lot of variety (mainly juncos, chickadees and sparrows), but we've had a few random sightings: waxwing, Townsend's warbler, varied thrush, hummingbirds, woodpeckers and sapsuckers are all pretty rare sights for our yard.

Here are a couple visitors from recent years:

goldfinch1.jpg

housefinch1.jpg

hawk1.jpg

Max

Nice variety, Max. We have a similar range of visitors. Here's a couple of examples taken at or within a few feet of our feeders. These were taken on Oct. 30 of this year.

Black-capped chickadee

10-30-2013 black-capped chickadee woodway_1623_filtered.jpg

Golden-crowned sparrow taking a bath

10-30-2013 golden-crowned sparrow at the bird bath_1668c2_filtered.jpg

Northern (red-shafted) flicker

10-30-2013 m Northern Flicker_5881_filtered.jpg

I have been tossing peanuts directly to the ground from the second story back deck in the hopes that the varied thrush which has been hanging out in my back yard will get a few. Most are scooped up by the furry-tailed tree rats and the evil minions of the Dark Lord.

Cool flicker. Interesting color.

Thanks! I'm thinking female red-shafted flicker. There's several variations of Flickers out there. I was just reading about recent yellow-shafted flicker reports in the Willamette Valley here in Oregon. I would love to get a shot of that.

Here's another photo of the flicker that I posted. A lot of my shots in this particular thread were taken through a window, like this one here...
1486011_orig.jpg

I think it is a male house finch. I have yet to spot a purple finch; but from photos I have seen, the bird in your photo has too much brown on its head and body to be a purple finch. My local bird book says the house finch is displacing the purple finch in the Puget Sound region. :(

Ironically, I have not seen many house finches this year. They are usually the most prevalent bird at my feeders. Terry has photographed purple finches at his feeder. Maybe if we ask him real nice, he will post up some of those photos. :)

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back