The Lunar eclipse has started

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Tony S

OK, I'll be posting up shots as the night goes on, unless it really gets cloudy and I fall asleep.
First the full moon during a break in the clouds...
394153656.jpg

Figures that just as the eclipse starts the clouds come back in, I also realized now that I didn't turn the clock back on my camera. lol I also realized I hadn't set my camera to manual until a few shots after this one.
394153655.jpg

You're doing better than I am. Too hazy down here to be worth putting much effort into it. I can see the moon, but it's not clear enough for good shots. The clouds are moving though, so maybe a hole will develop.

This was the very best that I could do, guys. Poor quality, but not bad for my cheap zoom gear. I was just happy to see it.

I love your first shot, Tony.

What lens is that!?

Here we go folks, the last try I'm taking at it. It rained while the moon was fully in the shadow so there was no sense going out to point the lens up to catch water. Clouds were still an issue and had to shoot a few shots to see which got the least amount of haze in it.
I think the exif info is attached to all these.

394155822.jpg

These were all taken with the 400 2.8IS with the 2x teleconverter on it. Camera set for a two second timer, but I'm sure there was some movement from the wind.

clear skies here. Well post later. Something called work is calling me there at the moment.

I only got 2 shots... One was at maximum brightness just before the start, when the sky was clear. (Everyone has seen a bright full moon so I'll save some time by not posting it :)

The following shot was just pure luck when a hole in the clouds passed over the house...

p12214164-3.png

Nikon D3S, F/0 w/80 shutter speed. Lens was 1500mm refractor with Nikon adapter.

No shots at all, last night. Heavy clouds and light snow, which is not too good for pointing a camera up in the air.

Pops

Rats. I was hoping I'd be able to shoot this.

I kept going out an looking every 15 minutes for about an hour before/after, but the clouds were too thick. I got nothing. :-(

@ D. Latte-
Nice shot! Very crisp and vivid color. I'm glad someone else in Eugene was out there with me, freezing their arse off waiting for momentary glimpses. It looks like you got that shot shortly after midnight, eh?

@ Janice-
Really!? Not even a momentary lapse in cloud cover!? That stinks. It was tough to see here for most of the night, but around midnight we got about a 12 minute break... Sorry :(

@ Tony
Well worth your effort, good sir. Very well done! Thanks for sharing it.

I guess I'll have to hurry up and get that 500mm zoom before the next occurance ;)

Eastern Oregon View of the eclipse

A little camera shake despite the tripod. The legs were probably shaking from the cold. I knew I should have put on those leg warmers. These were taken about 12:40 am MST.

A little camera shake despite the tripod. The legs were probably shaking from the cold. I knew I should have put on those leg warmers. These were taken about 12:40 am MST.

Unless your technique is VERY good, you introduce shake when you press the shutter. I took the following image in Seattle:

View attachment 4574

Notice the little "seismograph" trails from the car headlights. (This is zoomed in to 100%, and shot at 200mm on a foggy night, so it's not a good image other than for showing vibration.) You can see the tripod moved a lot on the initial shutter press, then the vibrations continued during most of the exposure. The vehicle on top is moving right to left in the frame, and the cars on the lower level are moving left to right. They provided a really nice graph of camera movement. Obviously my technique wasn't "excellent" that evening...

Notice how it's not obvious in the buildings. But it's there, and it introduces blur.

Using a cable release will help with this issue. I should have done that for this shot.

Last edited:

Leg warmers, for your leg or the tripod's? :rolleyes:

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back