Wildlife of Edmonds, WA. 2015

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

I have photographed several raptors hunting from the light posts and telephone poles along Pine St. and assumed this one was doing the same thing. After several minutes (and hundreds of shots) the bird dove down into the bushes below the telephone pole.

06.JPG

07.JPG

08.JPG

09.JPG

The bird remained hidden in the grass and bushes for several minutes. I took the opportunity to cross to the same (south) side of the street as the bird while it could not see me. I could hear the bushes rustle and see movement. I hoped the bird had not become entangled in a blackberry bramble.
10.JPG

Last edited:
After several minutes, the bird flew up from the grass carrying a garter snake.
11.JPG

12.JPG

13.JPG

The bird flew past me to the low branch of a nearby tree. I took several shots of the bird killing the snake, then left it to eat alone in peace although the presence of my son and me did not seem to bother it.

14.JPG

15.JPG

Last edited:
Now for "the rest of the story." I had assumed the raptor was a juvenile peregrine falcon while I was photographing it, but began to have my doubts after viewing the photos at home on my computer. I sent some photos to a well-known local expert on raptors and received the following reply:

Well, although I have to disappoint you about this being a peregrine, I can raise your spirits by telling you that you hit the jackpot with this one. This is a juvenile Broad-winged Hawk, one of the rarest hawks in western WA and a bird I have never seen on this side of the mountains!

I later talked to him on the phone. He said that broad-winged hawks are native to the Midwest and East, but their range has been extending west across southern Canada to British Columbia. Some experts believe the bird may be establishing a range in southern British Columbia. He said the bird I photographed was a first year juvie, probably hatched in May. It is the time of year when hawks migrate and this one was probably just passing through the area. I checked Pine St. several times last week and did not see it.

Friday (9/11) my son and I returned to the fish hatchery to look for the broad-winged hawk and the juvie peregrine falcon. We found neither, but we came across a pair of female yellowthroats. I wonder if it is the same pair I have photographed at the #1 viewing platform of the marsh.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

We went to Pine Ridge Park where I caught one of the wood ducks starting to molt into its adult male plumage.
001.JPG

002.JPG

Edit: I have received two votes for the small birds at the fish hatchery being orange-crowned warblers. Looking very closely, I can see slight striping on the bodies like that of an orange-crowned.

Last edited:
I have posted up photos of the Douglas's squirrel in my backyard. Sunday (9/13) three of them were present. That is the most I have seen at one time anywhere.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

One got close to my cat, which was watching the squirrels and birds. A few minutes later she chased after one of the squirrels, which earned her a trip back indoors. I don't think she could take down an eastern gray squirrel, but the Douglas's are much smaller, about the size of a chipmunk.
05.JPG

Two "lifers" + rare birds in a week's time.

Monday (9/14) Daren and I went to the fishing pier. We noticed a flock of local birders had gathered to view and photograph something on the marina breakwater opposite the pier. The object of their gathering was a willet. One of the birders told me that it was only the third sighting of a willet in Snohomish County.

Initially the willet was sleeping next to a juvie gull.
01.JPG

Something woke both birds. The willet relocated to a lower rock while the gull flew off.
02.JPG

03.JPG

The willet later flew off as well and passed a paddle boarder.
04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
Three ruddy(?) turnstones were foraging on the marina breakwater while we were watching the willet. Although neither a lifer for me nor a rare bird for the area, they do not often visit Edmonds.

The turnstones are very well camouflaged against the rocks.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Continued

Last edited:
Ballinger Park in nearby Mountlake Terrace is looking very autumnesque. Monday afternoon I walked the park while my son was playing tennis. I did not see any green herons, but saw many small birds.

Two females from the flock of red-winged blackbirds that lives by a small pond in the park.
01.JPG

Yellow-rumped warblers were present....
02.JPG

as were Savannah sparrows.
03.JPG

A thistle bush attracted some goldfinches.
04.JPG

Closeup.
05.JPG

Last edited:
It looks as though this black-capped chickadee has just taken a bath.
06.JPG

The ever present crows alerted me to a red-tailed hawk circling the area.
07.JPG

A very large tree quite literally fell victim to the recent wind storm.
08.JPG

Although the Pt. Edwards eagles are off on their annual two month fly-about, I always check their family tree at the top of Pine St. for other birds which may be taking advantage of their absence. Such was the case Tuesday afternoon (9/15) when I saw a merlin perched on the tree. I have seen merlins perching there intermittently for the past 2-3 years. I suspect there is a nesting pair in the area which may be the parents of the juvies which have shown up at the marsh for the past two years in August.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG[SUP][/SUP]

Last edited:
The peregrine falcon made another cameo flyover of the marsh Thursday afternoon (9/3) on its way towards the marina. It traversed the marsh quite quickly and was very hard to photograph, especially with the 5DIII + 500L + 1.4x teleconverter combo. The only shots I got were when it flew past the Pt. Edwards condos.

Some who have viewed the photos I posted believe it may be a prairie falcon, a species seldom seen in this area. With their encouragement, I have submitted a rare bird report to the Washington Ornithological Society. I'll report back what they think.

Here are closer crops and enlargements of the photos I originally posted. Opinions as to the bird's species are welcome.

01.JPG

02.JPG

Last edited:
Some small birds from Wednesday (9/16). First up was the fish hatchery.

Either a Swainson's or a hermit thrush. The two are difficult for me to tell apart.
01.JPG

Pileated woodpecker.
02.JPG

Distant ID shot of a golden-crowned kinglet along the creek.
03.JPG

We had run into our friend Dave at the fish hatchery, who told us that he had just seen the green heron at the retention pond at the end of the Pt. Edwards walkway. We failed to find the green heron as we moved along the fence that borders the pond, but we saw some more small birds.

Golden-crowned(?) sparrow.
04.JPG

Black-capped chickadee.
05.JPG

Last edited:
As we climbed back up the hill to return to the car, I looked back down at the retention pond and spotted the green heron. It became apparent from this angle why we had failed to spot the green heron while we were standing on the road behind the fence on the north side of the pond.

Can you spot the green heron looking through the 100mm end of the 100-400L zoom? This is very close to what it looks like to the naked eye.
06.JPG

Taken with the 400mm end of the 100-400L zoom and cropped. I used negative exposure compensation to keep from over exposing the heron's white feathers.
07.JPG

08.JPG

09.JPG

Last edited:
Late Thursday afternoon (9/17) a merlin spent an hour entertaining several of us as it hunted dragonflies from perches on the north side of the Edmonds marsh near the boardwalk. I did not get any good flight photos as the bird was too fast and too close to us. Neither our presence nor the sounds of Amtrak's Empire Builder passing under a telephone pole it was perched on appeared to bother it.

These shots were taken with the 5DIII + 500L telephoto + 1.4x teleconverter mounted on a tripod at the #2 viewing platform while the merlin was perched on the stand where the martin gourds used to hang. It was the best spot for photos as the other perching locations were backlit from the low sun.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

This bird appeared much lighter than the merlins we photographed at the marsh in August, starting on page 45:
http://www.pnwphotos.com/forum/showthread.php?11497-Wildlife-of-Edmonds-WA-2015/page45

According to my bird books, there are several color variations among merlins. Hopefully some raptor experts reading this will compare the photos and shed some light on the birds. I'll pass along any comments I may receive via e-mail.

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back