Wildlife of Edmonds, WA. 2016

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Tuesday afternoon (2-2) some mergansers and a horned grebe were diving for fish near the jetty at Brackett's Landing.

One of the mergansers was a male.
01.JPG

He would try to steal the grebe's fish, but the grebe proved to be faster.
02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

The dunlin continue to hang out on the logs anchored in the underwater dive park at Brackett's Landing. I cannot remember dunlin spending past winters in town.

Taken Friday afternoon (2-5-16) from Sunset Ave. with the 5DIII + 100-400L II telephoto zoom. The closest spot for photographing the dunlin is from the levee at Brackett's Landing North.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
Some shots from the waterfront Tuesday afternoon (2-9).

Brant are returning to the area. They feed on eel grass, which is only accessible during low tide.
01.JPG

Katy, the marina kingfisher, was perching at her usual spots.
02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

Two red-breasted mergansers flew in and landed at their usual spot north of the marina breakwater.
05.JPG

Last edited:
Here are some photos from Friday (2/12), our last sunny day. Wind and waves out on the Sound had grounded the local heron fleet, which sought safe harbor in the marsh. I counted 18 herons, although only 16-17 are visible in any single photo.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

Tuesday afternoon (2/16) I finally got my first shot of the year of a fox sparrow. It was in the trees beside the #4 viewing platform of the marsh.

01.JPG

Thursday morning (2-18) a flock of dunlin took off from the log anchored at the underwater dive park at Brackett's Landing North and headed south.
01.JPG

The flock did not return, so I drove to Marina Beach to see if the flock was at its usual spot at the marina breakwater. A friend of mine was already there photographing the flock.
02.JPG

I took a lot of photos which I spent later much time editing.
03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

For me, the thrill of shooting dunlin is photographing the flock, not individual birds. I wanted to get some shots of the flock with the ferry in the background.
06.JPG

Terry, Daren, and I returned after lunch. The waves had grown larger, so I tried to get shots of the dunlin with the waves crashing around them.
07.JPG

08.JPG

09.JPG

The dunlin can seek shelter inside the marina when they get tired of being pounded by the wind and waves.
10.JPG

Last edited:
nice series, Bill! i really like the one with the dunlin flying in front of the breaking wave!

I agree with Rocky, Bill.

I love the way the Dunlins all align with the wind. Click on the attached photo to get the full shot.

Terry

Attachments

• 2-18-2016 dunlin on the jetty edmonds_2612.JPG
    2-18-2016 dunlin on the jetty edmonds_2612.JPG
    1,012.6 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:
The water level at the marsh was high Friday afternoon (2/19) due to recent rain. Sometimes that will draw ducks closer to the walkways on the north side of the marsh.

I scanned a flock of green-winged teals for the lone male Eurasian we have been seeing this winter. Can you spot it?
01.JPG

I got some closer shots from the #3 viewing platform.
02.JPG

03.JPG

The herons were at their usual location.....
001.JPG

but one was in the cattails near the walkway between the #2 and #3 viewing platforms. It flew towards the others after we walked past.
002.JPG

Saturday afternoon (2/20) Stefan and I paid a visit to Pine Ridge Park while Daren was at tennis lessons. We did not see any owls, pileated woodpeckers, or wood ducks, but we did see a female bufflehead,
01.JPG

some green-winged teals,
02.JPG

and a Douglas's squirrel.
03.JPG

I was at the fishing pier Monday afternoon (2/22) when some cormorants flew past. I thought it was funny that the wing beats of the three birds n the left were synchronized while the one on the right was out of step with the others.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Cool sequence, Bill. I wonder if the wing beats were the same for the three birds because they were flying in formation.

Terry

Tuesday afternoon (2/23) I caught what I believe was a Copper's hawk perched in a tree past the retention pond at the end of the Pt. Edwards walkway. Cooper's hawks will tolerate much closer human presence than the skittish red-tailed hawks,
01.JPG

I cropped to show the head and tail, which are used to distinguish between the Copper's hawk and its look-alike cousin, the sharp-shinned hawk.
02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

I was at the marina Wednesday afternoon (2/24) when Katy, the resident female kingfisher, flew up under a roof to eat a fish she had captured. Kingfishers will slam their catch on a hard surface (usually a rock) to kill it.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

After eating, Katy made a dive into the marina for a second course, but came up empty. She perched on a boat to shake off the water and look for another fish.
04.JPG

Failing to more fish in the marina, she perched on a breakwater salmon sculpture, one of her usual hangouts.
05.JPG

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back