Wildlife of Edmonds, WA. 2016

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Katy the Kingfisher was on her usual perch at the marina.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

Good shots, Bill - you do have a great eye for spotting those 'hard-to-spot' birds! I attached a shot of the cormorant taken at mini-park. I really like their feather patterns.

Terry

3-3-2016 double crested cormorant minipark_2819.JPG

Good shots, Bill - you do have a great eye for spotting those 'hard-to-spot' birds! I attached a shot of the cormorant taken at mini-park. I really like their feather patterns.
Terry

nice one, Terry! i got some very similar to that yesterday afternoon... that little fella sure has his crests on display, doesn't he?

Thanks, Rocky. First time I have seen those crests that clearly....wondered why they call them the 'double-crested' :)

Last week to be out on the fishing pier before reconstruction begins. From Tuesday (3-8).

A juvie pigeon guillemot was diving below the fishing pier.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

A small flock of red-breasted mergansers has been spending the winter off Olympic Beach and the fishing pier. Thursday afternoon (3-10-16) I sneaked up on two females swimming below the fishing pier.

01.JPG

02.JPG

Friday morning (3/11) I caught a Douglas's squirrel running toward Pine Ridge Park along the backyard fence lines. Last fall I quit tossing out peanuts for the Steller's jays as the eastern grey squirrels were getting most of them. This peanut was either from its own stash or the stash of an eastern grey squirrel or Steller's jay that it had raided.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

The squirrel must remain vigilant when it reaches Pine Ridge Park as last year I photographed a barred owl hunting one in the park.
04.JPG

My neighbor's garden ornaments.
05.JPG

Last edited:
Tuesday (3/14) from Sunset Ave.

A small flock of black scoters was floating just beyond the floats that mark the underwater dive park.
01.JPG

The dunlin flock is much smaller than before, but still present.
02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

Sprague Pond at Mini Park in Lynnwood is a good place to photograph ducks and cormorants. Shots from Tuesday afternoon (3/15).

Male American wigeon
01.JPG

The double-crested cormorants are coming into breeding plumage.
02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
Daren and I went to Lake Ballinger Park on St. Patrick's Day. One Canada goose was getting quite aggressive against another one.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

I wouldn't want it coming after me. :eek:
05.JPG

Marsh Madness

Monday afternoon (3/16) a flock of Mew gulls visited the marsh....
01.JPG

02.JPG

while an evil minion of the Dark Lord was gathering nesting material.
001.JPG

002.JPG

004.JPG

We finally got some sunshine, so Tuesday afternoon Daren and I went out to look for birds. At the Pt. Edwards walkway we ran into Krista, a young birder I have known for about three years. She has taken up bird photography as well and some of her photos are on exhibit at the Edmonds Public Library.

One of the Pt. Edwards regulars had told me about a bushtit nest on the south side of the retention pond. We found it without too much trouble.
01.JPG

Golden-crowned sparrows are regular spring visitor to the walkway. Shooting at f/5.6 helped make the twigs in the background less obtrusive.
02.JPG

What looked like an immature male Anna's hummingbird spent several minutes posing for us. This is a take-off shot.
03.JPG

The red-winged blackbirds are out in force at the retention pond.
04.JPG

The water level at the marsh was such that one snipe ventured out from the grass onto the mud. It later scooted into the reeds. Snipes are much faster than they look.
05.JPG

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back