Wildlife of Edmonds, WA. 2016

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

The fishing pier will be soon be closing for three months for repairs, so I have been going down there during these sunny afternoons. Thursday (2/25) the sun and water were just right to allow shots of birds swimming underwater.

Male red-breasted merganser diving between the fishing pier and the marina breakwater.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

Last edited:
A horned grebe was diving inside the marina below the walkway that leads out to the fishing pier. It would swim underwater looking for things attached to the rocks. I got a sequence of the grebe surfacing. I wonder if a circular polarizing filter would have made the photos better.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
I have speculated that Katy and Don, the marina's resident kingfisher pair, have become habituated to the presence of people. Thursday afternoon Katy let people get fairly close when she perched on the walkway rail while hunting fish inside the marina.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

Last edited:
The fishing pier will be soon be closing for three months for repairs, so I have been going down there during these sunny afternoons. Thursday (2/25) the sun and water were just right to allow shots of birds swimming underwater.
Male red-breasted merganser diving between the fishing pier and the marina breakwater.

nice! i love it when you can see them underwater like that!

I hit the male merganser trifecta this past week.

Red-breasted merganser below the Edmonds fishing pier.
01.JPG

Common merganser in Sprague Pond at Mini Park in Lynnwood.
02.JPG

Hooded merganser in the retention pond at the end of the Pt. Edwards walkway in Edmonds.
03.JPG

Beautiful shots Bill-I tried several times to get a close shot of the Common Merganser on Sprague's Pond but he just wouldn't come very close.

Beautiful shots Bill-I tried several times to get a close shot of the Common Merganser on Sprague's Pond but he just wouldn't come very close.

He stayed in the middle of the pond when I was there. I couldn't stay long and took the photo handheld with my 5DIII + 100-400L II telephoto zoom. If the merganser is going to be there for awhile, I should return and set up my 500L telephoto + 1.4x teleconverter on a tripod using either the 5DIII (cloudy day) or 7DII (sunny day).

Don Kingfisher, half of the marina's resident pair, flew south over the waterfront.
01.JPG

His mate, Katy, was entertaining tourists walking out to the fishing pier. It is amazing how close she will let someone approach before taking off from her perch on the handrail.
02.JPG

She flew to a walkway support directly under passing pedestrians.
03.JPG

04.JPG

Two birders were looking through their binoculars at distant birds while Katy was literally underfoot just a few feet away.
05.JPG

Last edited:
good shots, Bill... Katy certainly doesn't seem to mind people, though i suspect the repair work may force her to at least refrain from perching on the railings as much...

Three more from Saturday. A female goldeneye was diving inside the marina below the walkway leading out to the fishing pier. These are shots of her swimming underwater.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

Wesley (or one of his descendents) spent Leap Day hunting bugs above one of the trees behind the #1 viewing platform of the marsh.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

When not hunting bugs he kept busy strafing those pesky song sparrows.

March came in like a lion Tuesday afternoon (3-1) with high winds hitting the Puget Sound region. The high water level at the marsh created waves.
01.JPG

A lone heron wading in the waves inspired me to experiment with shutter speeds.

I used 1/1000: to freeze the waves.
02.JPG

03.JPG

Then I used 1/15 to blur the waves.
04.JPG

05.JPG

It looks as though I should have used an even slower speed, but I would need a tripod for that.

Last edited:
Conventional shots of other herons hunkered down in the cattails.
06.JPG

07.JPG

The male Eurasian green-winged teal (right) is still present. Compare it to the North American green-winged teal on the left.
01.JPG

02.JPG

The teals disappeared when an eagle flew over the marsh. Photos of the eagle are on the Edmonds Eagles thread.

Some amazing shots, Bill....those underwater goldeneye shots are really good, as well as good old-wesley.

Terry

From Thursday (3/3).

Four Harlequin ducks were in the Sound off Sunset Ave. in the morning.
01.JPG

Terry, Daren, and I went to Sprague Pond at Lynnwood's Mini Park. A double-crested cormorant transitioning into breeding plumage was on the west shore.
02.JPG

Two surf scoters were foraging for food amid the barnacles and mussels embedded on the supports to the fishing pier.
03.JPG

04.JPG

A snipe was visible from the #1 viewing platform of the marsh. It is the first snipe I have seen since 2/1.
05.JPG

Continued

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back