Wildlife of Edmonds, WA. 2016

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Wednesday afternoon (3/23) the male Eurasian green-winged teal and a few of his North American cousins were in the marsh waterway closest to the #1 viewing platform. The overcast sky that was threatening rain did not inspire me to drag out the 500L telephoto for closer shots.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

A male North American green-winged teal (right) for comparison. Note the vertical "shoulder" stripe and the narrower, more subdued yellow "pinstriping" on its head.
04.JPG

Last edited:
Some birds from Friday (3/25).

A pair of brown creepers were going up and down a tree at the fish hatchery. I assume they were looking for material to line a nesting burrow, as I caught one pulling some spider webbing off the bark.
01.JPG

A red-breasted nuthatch kept going in and out of a small hole near the top of the shady (north) side of a tall snag on the fish hatchery grounds.
02.JPG

03.JPG

The juvie red-tailed hawk that likes to perch in the trees bordering the east edge of the marsh.
04.JPG

Last edited:
Thursday (3/24) I caught a Savannah sparrow on Sunset Ave. I didn't get excited about it until I found out that they are migratory and many do not spend the winter here. This one may have spent the winter here or it may be an early arrival.

02.JPG

03.JPG

Last edited:
Some birds from a sunny Monday (3/28) afternoon.

The red-breasted nuthatch continues to be occupied with the burrow high upon the snag at the fish hatchery. Photography is difficult as the burrow is on the shady (north) side of the snag.
01.JPG

02.JPG

The Brant continue to gather in the water and on the beach below Sunset Ave. The water was very murky due to the waves churning up sand exposed by the low tide.
03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Tuesday afternoon (3/29) Daren and I ran into Stephan at Pt. Edwards. We walked the walkway to the retention pond, where the red-winged blackbirds were out in full force.
01.JPG

We also saw my first of the year rufous hummingbird. There were rufous at this location last year, but they were difficult to photograph due to the Anna's running them off. I'll settle for so-so shots, as I am lucky to see even one during the summer before they leave in September.
02.JPG

03.JPG

While we were walking back down Pine St. to the fish hatchery, I noticed something odd crossing the street near Hwy 104. It was one of the local deer.
04.JPG

05.JPG

After picking up medicine at the Lynnwood Group Health clinic Wednesday afternoon (3/30), my son and I paid a visit to nearby Sprague Pond at Mini Park. We couldn't find Rocky's pet kinglet, but we did see some interesting waterfowl.

Female ring-necked duck.
01.JPG

Male ring-necked duck. This is the first time I have seen the iridescent ring on the neck.
02.JPG

Second best bufflehead photo? The iridescent colors showed up while the bird was flying across the pond.
03.JPG

Northern shovelers. More iridescent feathers.
04.JPG

This pileated woodpecker was flying southeast quite rapidly high over the intersection of 200th St. & 50th Ave./Cedar Valley Rd. I seldom see one in the open like this. I think it was headed from Scriber Lake Park to Scriber Creek Park.
05.JPG

Last edited:
After our visit to Sprague Pond, we ran some errands in Edmonds and finished up at Pine Ridge Park. The visit was nearly a bust as we didn't see any wood ducks, Rocky's pet bufflehead, or pileated woodpeckers.

As we headed back to the pickup, I heard the hooting of a barred owl. I was able to get the general location of the owl by a second set of hoots. I zeroed in on a tree courtesy of an incessant racket raised by the evil minions of the Dark Lord. The owl took off and flew to a very low branch of another tree in deep shade where I was able to get some relatively close-up shots. I have not been pursuing our local owls like in years past as shots of barred owls staring at me from a branch all start to look alike. This was my first owl of the year.

5DIII + 100-400L II telephoto zoom. Uncropped, 400mm, 1/250, f/5.6, ISO 25600, +1 exposure compensation.
01.JPG

02.JPG

Same as above but cropped.
03.JPG

Uncropped, 100mm, 1/250, f/5.0, ISO 20000, +1 exposure compensation.
04.JPG

The owl flew to another branch, where I got a few more shots before leaving it and the crows to work out their issues.

Cropped, 1/250, f/5.0, ISO 20000, +1 exposure compensation, lightened w/Picasa.
05.JPG

Last edited:
Nice low ISO's on those owl shots, Bill :)...Amazing actually. I never get tired of seeing the owls. Great shots in extremely low light!

Thursday morning (3/31) a black scoter was finding mussels during low tide off Sunset Ave. I had to pick up Daren or I would have set up the 500L telephoto lens for closer shots.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Some Monday afternoon (4/4) photos from the marsh.

A song sparrow takes note of the sign board at the #1 viewing platform.
01.JPG

Two kingfishers perched on the wire over Willow Creek at the SW corner of the marsh near the railroad tracks.
02.JPG

Wesley is still sitting on the fence regarding the upcoming elections.
03.JPG

Two snipes were in the mud flat nearest the #1 viewing platform.
04.JPG

Look closely and you can see that Wesley is red with rage over a white-crowned sparrow sitting on his perch. :mad:
05.JPG

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back