Wildlife of Edmonds, WA.

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

This week one of the Edmonds marsh regulars told me there was a photogenic flock of American wigeons at Mini Park in nearby Lynnwood. Wednesday (11/13) my son Daren and I drove over to check it out.

The wigeons at the marsh are difficult to photograph as they remain on the far south side. The ones at Mini Park eventually got out of the pond to feed on something on the grass. I included mallards in some of the photos for a size comparison. The wigeons don't quack, but make a rubber duckie bathtub toy sounding "bink bink."
01.JPG

Wigeons are smaller than mallards and much shyer
02.JPG

l: male r: female
03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
Wow, this thread is up to 503 posts and 51 pages. Maybe I need a life outside of photographing the local wildlife. On the positive side, it keeps Terry, Daren, and me out of our local bars, out of trouble, and out of jail. ;)

The thread has over 24,000 hits, so thanks to all (both?) of you (us?) who keep checking it. It will be interesting to see if it reaches 25,000 hits before the first of the year, when I will start a new thread for 2014. Until then, stay tuned for more photos. :cool:

Last edited:
Thursday (11/14) a western meadowlark visited the marsh and perched in one of the evergreen trees behind the #1 viewing platform where Wesley the hummer often sits. Unfortunately it chose a spot where intervening branches made it very difficult to focus. Others have seen meadowlarks in Edmonds, but it was a first for me.
01.JPG

Another bird flew in and perched on a branch near the meadowlark. At the time I did not pay much attention to it as I was trying to photograph the meadowlark. After examining my photos at home and consulting Sibley's, I believe it was an orange-crowned warbler.

Edit: Two local birders who looked at this photo replied to me that the bird may be a palm warbler, which according to Sibley's is not common for this area.
02.JPG

We kept hearing evil minions of the Dark Lord raising :mad: at the far southeast corner of the marsh in the trees bordering Sunset Ave./Edmonds Way. A look through my binos revealed a light-morph red-tailed hawk, probably the same one I have been seeing in the vicinity for the past week. Here is a full frame shot at 560mm (400L + 1.4x teleconverter).
03.JPG

Last edited:
The hawk flew over to a snag. Close examination of my photos at home revealed a second, darker red-tailed hawk at the top of the snag.

Cropped photo of the two hawks.
04.JPG

Really cropped photos of each individual hawk.
05.JPG

06.JPG

Terry is trying to talk me into buying a used 600L len$. He assures me a 600L + 1.4x teleconverter will make these long-distance shots crystal clear. ;)

Much closer at hand was my nemesis bird, the ruby-crowned kinglet. They faithfully return every winter to taunt me.
07.JPG

08.JPG

Last edited:
Exciting to see the Meadowlark, Bill. I did a blowup of the hawk - definitely a red-tail. Wish we could have seen it at a more reasonable distance!

11-14-2013 red tailed hawk_6600.JPG

Just as I was posting this, you posted the other red-tail shots as well as the ruby-crowned kinglet shots. I was surprised there were two red tails!

Why I always keep my camera in the pickup

Friday (11/15) as I pulled up in my driveway and got put of my pickup, I heard evil minions of the Dark Lord cawing like crazy. I looked up to see them chasing a rather ratty looking red-tailed hawk circling to my north in the vicinity of Maplewood Elementary School.
01.JPG

Last edited:
I made a brief trip to the marsh Saturday (11/16) morning for a quick photo session before the WSU game. My "focus" was on Wesley and the on-going hummer war, but I think I got some more shots of what several avid birders have told me is a palm warbler. The light was a lot better than Thursday when I took the first photos.
02.JPG

03.JPG

Note the white underside of the tail feathers.
04.JPG

05.JPG

Not a good shot, but I kept it to show the white underside of the tail feathers while the bird was in flight.
06.JPG

Last edited:
Three or four hummers were busy chasing each other around Wesley's territory.
01.JPG

02.JPG

Two of the combatants took a break and perched side by side for a minute.
03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Three more from Saturday's hummingbird sequence.

The break is over. I missed the first hummer taking off from the branch, but caught the second one as it immediately gave chase.
06.JPG

07.JPG

Lately the hummers have been perching in the blackberry bramble on the fence by the viewing platform.
08.JPG

09.JPG

Last edited:
Nice shots, Bill. Christine, the Annas Hummingbirds are here year round. We have two feeders out that have to be filled every three days. We see them daily.

Is that the Anna? dont they leave the PNW? I have feeders out but dont see to many...

As a species, the Anna's worked their way up the Pacific coast from Southern California to the PNW and live here year around. The other hummingbird common to our area, the rufous, does migrate.

Some avian experts believe that our northern Anna's are evolving into a separate sub species. They are heavier and chunkier than their southern cousins due to the body surface area/mass ratio they must maintain in order to survive our colder winters.

Between Tuesday (11/19) morning's rain and the early sunset, Terry, Daren, and I squeezed in a visit to the marsh, where we ran into our birding friend Young Dave.

Green-winged teals.
01.JPG

Evil minions of the Dark Lord alerted us to a red-tailed hawk perched in the trees at the far east side of the marsh before they chased it off.
02.JPG

03.JPG

A resident great blue heron coming in for a landing.
04.JPG

There is a funny story regarding Young Dave and these northern shovelers, but what happens at the marsh stays at the marsh. :eek:
05.JPG

Last edited:
Terry and I have a standing joke that the good birds arrive after he leaves. Tuesday was no exception as Daren and I found an adult Cooper's hawk perched on a telephone pole beside the railroad tracks as we cruised the marina. This is not far from the old light tower at the west end of the Pt. Edwards walkway where I photographed one (probably the same bird) a week ago.
06.JPG

Like eagles and osprey, the hawk let out a poop before it took off, which signaled me to get ready for a take-off shot.
07.JPG

08.JPG

09.JPG

10.JPG

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back