Wldlife of Edmonds, WA. 2014

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Lucky you guys, Bill & Terry, having a resident Merlin. They're really interesting to watch and rather rare in these parts. There was one I was watching in North Portland for a while in the spring, it may have moved on, I did not see it the past few times I was out there. I'm sure you guys will keep up with this one. They do like to take other birds. You guys may get some shots similar to this, if you haven't already
1090217_orig.jpg

3455800_orig.jpg

It's probably premature to say the marsh merlin is a resident. I didn't see it at the marsh tonight although I left about an hour and a half before sunset.

Saturday's (8/9) avian action started in my own back yard with an adult red-breasted nuthatch feeding a bug to a fledgling while perched on one of my Doug firs.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

I went to the marsh in search of the merlin. I did not find it, but I did see a small flock of sandpipers. I believe they were westerns.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
Along with the sandpipers was a plover. I believe it is a juvie semipalmated plover, but I am not very good with shore birds.

09.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG

12.JPG

13.JPG

Sunday evening (8/10) I saw a small raptor preening itself on the south side of the marsh. I thought it was the marsh merlin as it was perched in one of the trees above Willow Creek that the merlin has been using.

A close look at my photos revealed it to be a juvie Cooper's or sharp-shinned hawk.

01.JPG

02.JPG

Last edited:
Wesley, the male Anna's hummer who guards the west viewing platform of the marsh, has been MIA all summer. Part of the problem may be that the maritime training school has expanded its presence in the space behind the boardwalk. It tore out the blackberry vines and put rocks on the ground, which may be what is killing the trees where Wesley would perch.

Sunday evening I saw two hummers in Wesley's dying tree. It may have been a mother and fledgling, as male Anna's are highly territorial and won't tolerate the presence of other males. I had to look into the sun to get these photos.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Nice reflections in that last shot, Bill. Looks like a pretty high tide tonight - I might try to make it out. With the hazy conditions, maybe the harsh sun might get filtered a bit.

Monday morning (8/11) my son Daren, our friend Young Dave, and I took advantage of the super moon's super low tide to walk the beach south from the Marina Park off leash dog park below Pt. Edwards toward Pt. Wells. We saw no eagles, but a kingfisher and some purple martins put on a good show. I'll post photos of them later, but first I want to post up these photos.

Which one of these birds is different from the others? :confused:
01.JPG

Looking at my Sibley's, this may be a juvenile long-tailed jaeger......... :D
02.JPG

......or it could be just another juvie gull. :mad:
03.JPG

I'll post a link to these photos on Tweeters and see what the advanced and expert birders think. It would be quite ironic if this turns out to be a jaeger as Dave told me during the walk that he wants to find one this year.

Last edited:
Hmmmmmm - hope the experts chime in, Bill. If it is a juvie long-tailed Jaeger, based on my nat'l geo field guide range, "migrating birds uncommon to fairly common well off West Coast (fall); rare in interior West (mainly early fall)." It certainly would be rare.

So far the vote from Tweeters is for a very dark, first year California gull. The colors look identical to the illustration in my Sibleys of a juvie long-tailed jaeger, but the bill is a too large. A long-tailed jaeger certainly would be rare.

Last edited:
I'll go with the dark juvie CAGU, esp. given the company it's keeping w/adult CAGUs.

*The jaeger that we're most likely to see on inland waters is the Parasitic Jaeger, usually following the flocks of Bonaparte's Gulls and Common Terns that come through in spring and fall.

As Terry noted, not much has been happening at the marsh this week.

Wednesday afternoon (8/13) I was photographing trains on Sunset Ave. when a Caspian tern flew past doing a little mid air grooming.
01.JPG

A seal was basking in the sun on debris floating in the Sound.
02.JPG

I returned that evening to catch a flock of geese flying north over the Sound.
03.JPG

The seal was sharing space on the debris with a gull.
04.JPG

You can see the debris with the seal on it in the middle of the photo below the geese.
05.JPG

I like that tern shot, Bill. Considering the lack of birds, you did really well!

No nature photography over the weekend. Like Terry said, things will be slow until the winter migrants start arriving next month. Here are some shots from Friday (8/15).

The herons are back at the marsh now that the eagles have left town.
01.JPG

The king fishers remain active. I caught one perching on one of the salmon statues at the marina.
02.JPG

03.JPG

A pigeon guillemot in non-breeding plumage off the fishing pier.
04.JPG

A gull chowing down on an urchin atop the marina breakwater.
05.JPG

Sandpipers continue to show up at the marsh.
06.JPG

An osprey carrying a fish flew past me on Sunset Ave.
07.JPG

It landed on a tree north of Hanna Park Rd., went into defensive position, and began calling. I looked around for another osprey or an eagle.
08.JPG

A few minutes later a second osprey cruised by.
09.JPG

I got a call from Janine that something interesting was hunting up on Pt.Edwards. It turned out to be an adult Cooper's hawk.
10.JPG

Janine and I spent several minutes photographing the Cooper's hawk. It would perch on a something, swoop down, and come back up to find a new perch. It was not very shy and would let you get fairly close to photograph it.

11.JPG

12.JPG

Judging by the droppings on the telephone line, it appears the hawk has been perching there for awhile.
13.JPG

14.JPG

15.JPG

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back