Wldlife of Edmonds, WA. 2014

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Monday morning (8/18) the merlin was chasing killdeer on the far south side of the marsh. It was the first time in several days that I have seen it.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

Wesley and friend (?) were chasing each other in the dying evergreens behind the #1 (far west) viewing platform.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

mystery sandpiper

A shorebird took off from the marsh and flew south past me. I initially thought it was a killdeer and ignored it. It was about the same size and shape and flew in the same manner as a killdeer. When it made some very un-killdeer cries, I snapped some rather poor, back-lit grab shots.

Looking at its long bill, it is definitely not a killdeer. It was too large to be one of the western or least sandpipers that have recently been hanging out at the marsh. Any guesses?

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

Last edited:
Tuesday (8/19) was a very photogenic day at the marsh with two flocks of sandpipers present.

Least sandpipers off the #3 viewing platform.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

The juvie Cooper's hawk was perched once again in a tree above Willow Creek on the south side of the marsh.

I spotted it from the #3 viewing platform.
01.JPG

It remained in the tree for quite some time, but when it let out a poop, I knew takeoff was imminent.
02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Hummer action, which has been non-existent at the marsh this summer, has picked up the past two days. Wednesday afternoon (8-20-14) I caught at least three hummers interacting behind the #1 viewing platform. Having grown up in television's black & white era of 1950's and early 1960's, I'll make no efforts at post processing these backlit shots.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
While I have heard reports from Terry and other credible sources of deer in the vicinity of the marsh, Pt. Edwards, and Woodway; I had never seen any. Wednesday afternoon my son and I were walking the Pt. Edwards walkway when I saw a tan colored head poking out from the trees at the end of the walkway west of the retention pond. It took me a second or two to realize it was a deer and not the resident coyote.

By the time I got my camera up, the deer had turned around and was headed back down the hill, leaving me with only a Sasquatch shot of its rump. :mad:

01.JPG

Last edited:
The herons are returning to the marsh. I usually don't get excited about them as they are in the area year round, but high tide in the late evening and their relative proximity to the #1 viewing platform has made for interesting shots.
01.JPG

Two of the herons were chasing each other and making "heads up" displays.
02.JPG

This one got chased off by another. It disturbed a flock of sandpipers as it was flying around and for a brief time was flying among the flock. I needed my second camera (currently in the shop) with the 100-400L zoom attached, as the action was too close and too fast for me to follow with the 500L + 1.4x teleconverter mounted on a tripod.
03.JPG

The herons departed for their evening roosts as it got dark. This one was the last to leave.
04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
I have been spending evenings at the marsh in the hopes of spotting the elusive merlin.

I didn't see the merlin Sunday (8/24), but I did catch the juvie Cooper's hawk.
01.JPG

02.JPG

The kingfishers continue to entertain. This one was perched on the pole holding the martin gourds.
03-a.JPG

03.JPG

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back