Edmonds Eagles 2015-2016

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Presidents' Day (2-15-16) afternoon, one of the Pt. Edwards eagles was perched off Marina Beach eating a bird.
01.JPG

02.JPG

The wind was very strong and it was spitting rain. After the eagle completely devoured the bird, it cleaned off its beak and took off.
03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

It flew to an exposed piece of beach south of the off leash dog park.
06.JPG

07.JPG

In the meantime, its mate perched in one of trees on the bluff just south of the dog park.
08.JPG

09.JPG

10.JPG

I had seen one or both of the Pt. Wells eagles perched about a mile south on light towers at the tank farm at Pt. Wells. It was too far for good photos with just the 100-400L II zoom.

Last edited:
Tuesday (2-23-16) was an Edmonds eagle kind of day.

First up was an immature adult that flew over Olympic Beach near the fishing pier.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

Later that afternoon my son and I caught one of the Pt.Edwards eagles getting buzzed by evil minions of the Dark Lord while perched on the flat-topped spar near the top of Pine St.
04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
From Pine St. we went down to the walkway below the Pt. Edwards walkway where we saw the immature adult fly over the marsh towards City Park from the marina.
06.JPG

I got a nice shot of the eagle with a northbound oil tank train in the distance.
07.JPG

The Pt. Edwards adult took off to check out the youthful intruder.
08.JPG

A gull helped me locate the adult perched on a tree in City Park.
09.JPG

The adult eventually flew back to the family tree at the top of Pine St.
10.JPG

I last saw it as it was flying northeast over Puget Sound.

The Point Edwards eagles make no attempt to abide by the no diving and no flying zones around the ferry dock.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

After blatantly flouting the Edmonds City Code, the eagle flew south over the marina.
04.JPG

Both eagles were later seen circling west out over the Sound.
05.JPG

The eagles followed me to the marsh. One proceded due south. The other made a few circles over the marsh, then landed on the family tree at the top of Pine St.

06.JPG

07.JPG

08.JPG

09.JPG

10.JPG

Tuesday afternoon (3/1/16) an eagle flew over the marsh. Although it had a white head, the dark bands in the tail feathers show it is still a season away from being a full adult.
01.JPG

02.JPG

Some of its feathers are tattered and molting.
03.JPG

Last edited:
Some shots from Thursday (3-10-16).

A juvie flying around Pt. Edwards south of the off leash dog park.
01.JPG

I then went up to Sunset Ave. where an adult flew directly above me as it made a circle out over the Sound. I was photographing a passing train with the 7DIII + 16-35L wide angle lens and barely had time to get the 5DIII + 100-400L II telephoto zoom as the eagle made a second pass (or was it a second eagle?) over me. I believe it was one of the Hutt Park pair.

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

Last edited:
Monday afternoon I saw a flock of Brant take off from a beach north of Sunset Ave., so I began looking for an eagle. A juvie flew south over the Sound.
01.JPG

It attracted the attention of gulls as it passed near the ferry dock.
02.JPG

Later a sub adult landed on a rock near the Shell Creek Spit.
03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Tuesday afternoon (3/15/16) I photographed what I think is a second year juvie perched in one of the tall trees near the corner of Daley and 7th Ave. I believe this is the juvie I have been seeing this winter in Edmonds.

01.JPG

02.JPG

I think the Pt. Edwards eagles are sitting on eggs. Wednesday afternoon (3/16/16) I found one of them perched on the sentry tree near the nest.
01.JPG

About five minutes later it flew into the nest and remained hidden most of the time, but periodically looked out.
02.JPG

03.JPG

The eagle occasionally looked as though it was arranging something in the nest.
04.JPG

05.JPG

I talked to a local raptor expert who said it is not unusual for an eagle to briefly leave the nest and eggs on a warm day. The sun was shining into the nest and it was not windy (for a change).

Last edited:
I saw both of them yesterday soaring over our place - I assume they were the same pair.

Terry

Its actually a snag, Bill, but great shots! Here's the official forestry definition for 'snag': In forest ecology, a snag refers to a standing, dead or dying tree, often missing a top or most of the smaller branches. In freshwater ecology it refers to trees, branches, and other pieces of naturally occurring wood found sunken in rivers and streams; it is also known as coarse woody debris.

Terry

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back