Edmonds Eagles 2015-2016

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Sunday afternoon (1-3-16) I spotted one of the Pt. Edwards eagles sharing its tree at the top of Pine St. with a lone male starling. It was a smart move on the part of the starling if it did not want to be dinner for a hawk, falcon, or merlin that I have photographed in the area.

At times the starling appeared to mimic the eagle's poses.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

Last edited:
Wednesday afternoon (1-6-16) one of the Pt.Edwards eagles was perched atop the sentry tree near their nest. The eagle appeared to be drying off.
01.JPG

02.JPG

I am guessing it is the male based on the relative size and shape of its head and beak.
03.JPG

Last edited:
The wind and rain picked up Tuesday afternoon (1-12-16), but that did not stop one of the Pt. Edwards eagles from perching on the family tree at the top of Pine St.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

Thursday (1-14-16) was a sunny and balmy four eagle day. The show started in the morning on Sunset Ave.

The Pt. Edwards pair was perched on their favorite tree at the top Pine St........
01.JPG

02.JPG

while two juvies flew southeast over town.
03.JPG

04.JPG

Later in the afternoon, I caught one of the juvies making another pass over downtown while I was at the hardware store buying a new screw for my tripod. I was shooting directly into the sun by the time I got my camera out of the pickup.
05.JPG

Last edited:
Only two parking spots remain on the north end of Sunset Ave. after the "improvements" were made two years ago... and one is a handicapped spot. I drove down Thursday morning (1-21-16) while my son was working out at the gym and found the sole legal spot was empty, possibly due to the fact that it was pouring down rain. The hour I was there was a throw back to the old days before Sunset Ave. was remodeled and the owners of the property on Hannah Park Rd. cut down the eagles' trees to make room for their new trophy home.

I had not parked for long before a juvie eagle flew south along the railroad tracks. Although it was fairly close to my pickup, I did not bother jumping out to take a shot as it was still pouring rain and still poorly lit. A few minutes later an adult landed on one of the remaining tall trees on Hannah Park Rd. while another one soared in the distance over Shell Creek spit.

The eagle was still perched in the tall fir when I left, so I stopped on Caspers St. and took some shots out the window of my pickup. I am guessing it is one of the Hutt Park pair.

01.JPG

Last edited:
Tuesday afternoon (1-26-16) I photographed an eagle chasing a gull with a fish far to the south of the fishing pier. I was shooting with the 5DIII + 100-400L II telephoto zoom, but wish I had the 500L telephoto + 1.4x TC.

The eagle did not appear to be one of our mature adult local breeding pairs as it still had a few dark feathers on its head and white feathers on its wings.
01.JPG

The eagle "persuaded" the gull to drop the fish....
02.JPG

swooped down.....
03.JPG

scooped it out of the Sound.........
04.JPG

and ate it quite literally "on the fly."
05.JPG

Last edited:
One of the Hutt Park eagles was perched on its spar Friday afternoon (1-29-16).
01.JPG

What looked like a first year juvie had flown flew over my house that morning, but I didn't get any good photos.

Monday afternoon (2-1-16) one of the Pt. Edwards eagles was perched in the family tree at the top of Pine St. Although I have taken hundreds (if not thousands) of photos of eagles on this tree, I could not pass up this opportunity during a day of sunlight amid our season of darkness.

Something on the ground kept attracting the eagle's attention. I fully expected it to swoop down on a squirrel in front of me. :eek:
01.JPG

Peek-a-boo!
02.JPG

03.JPG

I put the camera down for a second to check the photos and the eagle took off. :mad:

Last edited:
Friday afternoon (2-5-16) I caught one of the Pt. Edwards eagles drying off on the tall spar at the fish hatchery.
01.JPG

Does the eagle recognize me by now?
02.JPG

It takes great skill to clean those talons without poking out your eyes.
03.JPG

04.JPG

From the fish hatchery I drove about a mile and a half north to Melody Lane, where one of the Hutt Park eagles was perched in the tall firs near the Shell Creek spit.
05.JPG

Last edited:
Monday (2-8-16) Terry and I ran into Stefan at the marsh. The three of us went over to Olympic Beach where we saw one of the Pt. Edwards eagles perched on its usual spot near the ferry.
01.JPG

The eagle took off and made a dive at something in the water.
02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

The eagle came up empty-taloned, but note the dark object in the water below it. :confused:
05.JPG

Last edited:
The eagle returned to its perch, then flew out for another pass a few minutes later.
06.JPG

07.JPG

This time the dark object was out of the water. It was a sea lion with a large fish that the eagle was trying to steal.
08.JPG

09.JPG

10.JPG

The sea lion made a dive and the eagle was denied a meal once again.
11.JPG

12.JPG

13.JPG

Back to the perch.
14.JPG

Later that afternoon I saw the Lake Ballinger pair perched on their snag on the Niles golf course in Mountlake Terrace.
15.JPG

Super sequence, Bill! I was shooting at a single frame (5Diii 400 f5.6L+1.4x) so only got a few shots. Here's the best of the group that I managed with the seal and eagle. Wish I had the 500 and 1.4 on the tripod at the time...

Terry

2-8-2016 eagle and seal edmonds_2398.JPG

When tracking down eagles in Edmonds, you must use your ears as well as your eyes. Thursday (2-11-16) my son and I spotted both of the Pt. Edwards eagles on two of their favorite perches at Pt. Edwards. We then went to the fishing pier, where I heard the distress calls of gulls near the ferry that signal the arrival of an eagle. I looked southeast towards Pt. Edwards, but saw nothing.

A minute later I saw the eagle perched on one of its usual spots by the ferry. The eagle must have flown north from Pt. Edwards past the ferry, then circled around and flew back south over or around the ferry.
01.JPG

I once again heard the distress calls of the gulls while we were on the fishing pier. I looked up to see the eagle fly south over the marina and around Pt. Edwards. The eagle
was close enough that I had to back off on the telephoto zoom.
02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back