Edmonds Eagles 2015-2016

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Tuesday afternoon (5/10/16) I caught one of the Pt. Edwards eagles circling the marsh and Pt. Edwards.
01.JPG

It disappeared, but was later joined by two juvies and an evil minion of the Dark Lord.
02.JPG

The juvies looked like second year birds. They circled the marsh, then headed northeast over town.
03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Wednesday evening (5/11/16) I caught the Hutt Park pair at their nest while Daren was playing tennis. I had to use positive exposure compensation as they were backlit.

01.JPG

Friday afternoon (5/20) I checked out the eagle nest at Lake Ballinger in Mountlake Terrace. The pair may be parents this year as one of them was sitting on the nest while the other was running interference against the evil minions of the Dark Lord.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

The eagle spent several minutes drinking and hopping between two different locations. All of this shots were taken with the 7DII + 100-400L II telephoto zoom. I took this shot with the short end of the lens to give perspective to the distance from the eagle to the #1 viewing platform where I was standing.
View attachment 20051

The Washington Dept. of Fish and Wildlife used the attached photo on the cover of their report on eagles. I don't consider it to be one of my best photos, but I guess they wanted a background shot. I got a credit line on the bottom of the second page.
http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/01825/wdfw01825.pdf

Last edited:
I actively follow three local pairs of nesting eagles: the Pt. Edwards pair (Woodway) , the Hutt Park pair (Edmonds), and the Lake Ballinger pair (Mountlake Terrace). To date I have seen no nesting activities by the Pt. Edwards or Hutt Park pairs. I suspected the Lake Ballinger pair might be nesting when I saw one of the adults in the nest on 5/20.

My friend Dave recently confirmed that the Lake Ballinger pair has babies. Monday (7/18) I dropped by Lake Ballinger Park and saw two babies in the nest. I did not have time to set up the 500L lens and tripod but took these photos with the 5DIII + 100-400L II telephoto zoom. Although the nest is on the private golf course east of the park, it is fairly easy to see from the grassy area between the fishing dock and the circular drive by the boat ramp.

Parents perched on their tree.
01.JPG

It is difficult to see, but there are two eaglets in the nest. One was flapping its wings, so it may not be much longer before they start "branching."
02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

Last edited:
Our local eagles should be returning in the next 1-2 weeks from their annual two month sabbatical. I set Columbus Day as their return date, but I doubt they read calendars. I'll start a new 2016-17 eagle thread when I see the first one back in town.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back