Edmonds Eagles 2015-2016

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

I saw the same two about the same time. They almost flew right over me - I was just south of their nest.

Terry

Monday afternoon (3-21-16) I staked out the Pt. Edwards eagle nest. The evil minions of the Dark Lord and the shrieking of two eagles alerted me to inbound action. I was hoping to photograph an eagle flying into the nest, but I caught flyovers of an adult and a juvie instead.
01.JPG

It looked like the same juvie that has been spending winter in town.
02.JPG

Both birds perched in nearby trees. I could hear their shrieks, but could not see them. I relocated and with difficulty found the juvie hiding in a tree.
03.JPG

The juvie eventually took off and was followed by the adult, which was out of sight in a nearby tree.
04.JPG

05.JPG

I caught a glimpse of the adult returning a few minutes later, but could not locate it. I never did see any activity at the nest.

Last edited:
I was at the marsh Saturday afternoon (3/26) when I noticed one of the Pt. Edwards eagles perched on the family tree at the top of Pine St. I drove up a few minutes later and found both eagles in the tree. The one I believe is the female (left) let out a poop, so I got ready for a takeoff.

01.JPG

She took off in the direction of the nest while the male remained behind.

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

I noticed she was dangling her right leg. I hope it is not injured.

05.JPG

I later checked the nest, but did not see a bird in it. I am still holding out hope that she is sitting on eggs due to her short time perched on the family tree with the male.

Last edited:
Nice, Bill. I have been seeing one or both flying over our place fairly regularly. Not sure where they are nesting, if they are.

Terry

We have a local saying (probably created by the Chamber of Commerce): "It's an Edmonds kind of day." Sunday (3/27/16) was much better than that. It was an Edmonds Easter Eagle kind of day. The day started off at the marsh, where I saw 7-8 eagles soaring over town at once. Two were the Pt. Edwards pair, as I got some shots of the one with the bad leg that I had photographed up on Pine St. the day before.

01.JPG

I was able to get only five birds in a single photo. Three are visible as blurred dots in the upper right corner. Note the Pt. Edwards eagle with the dangling leg in the lower left corner.
02.JPG

From the marsh I went to Olympic Beach Park. The Pt. Edwards pair had returned to the pilings near the ferry dock.
03.JPG

Both eagles took off shortly after I arrived.
04.JPG

Note the dangling leg, which identifies this bird as one of the Pt. Edwards pair.
05.JPG

Last edited:
I eventually wound up on Sunset Ave., where the action really picked up. Two adults soared overhead while being shadowed by the juvie I have been photographing this winter.
06.JPG

The juvie made three dives at the beach below Sunset Ave. before finally landing.
07.JPG

08.JPG

09.JPG

Something attracted the juvie's attention after it touched down.
10.JPG

It was an adult arriving to check out the trespasser.
11.JPG

12.JPG

13.JPG

The birds engaged in an eagle eye-to-eye stare-down...
14.JPG

then took off.
15.JPG

Last edited:
The two chased each other out over the Sound.
16.JPG

17.JPG

They eventually disappeared behind the trees near the Shell Creek Spit after putting the Brant to flight.
18.JPG

On my way home I noticed a pair of adults perched in one of the trees off Hanna Park Rd. It started to rain after I got out of my pickup to take these photos.
19.JPG

I believe it was the Hutt Park pair, as this has been their territory. A close look at one bird's beak reveals a crack that was not present on the beaks of either of the Pt. Edwards pair that I had photographed the day before on Pine St.
20.JPG

All of this activity makes me wonder if any of our local pairs are sitting on eggs.

Last edited:
Monday afternoon (3-28-16) the Hutt Park pair was perched atop the snag at Hutt Park.
01.JPG

02.JPG

This will be the third season for their "new" nest. It looks abandoned and like they made no effort to add to it over the winter.
03.JPG

Tuesday (4/12/16) morning an adult was perched on a snag bordering Willow Creek on the south side of the marsh.
01.JPG

It took off after being buzzed by the evil minions of the Dark Lord.
02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

It flew to the marina, then returned to circle the marsh before heading south around Pt. Edwards. It is not the adult with the bad leg.
05.JPG

I returned to the marsh in the afternoon in time to see an adult land in the marsh. I no sooner set up my camera and telephoto lens when a downpour hit. The camera quit working and I had to retreat back to the car. The camera started working again after drying out for several hours at home.

Last edited:
Thursday afternoon (4/14/15) the Pt. Edwards pair was perched on the family tree at the top of Pine St. The fact that they were both there tells me that they are not sitting on eggs.

01.JPG

02.JPG

Tuesday morning (4/19/16) the Hutt Park pair was perched in the trees at the end of Melody Lane. From these trees the eagles have a view of the Shell Creek Spit, where birds gather to bathe and drink during low tide.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

Wednesday morning (4/27) I got a phone call from Janine who said there was an eagle in Pine Ridge Park. The north side of the park borders my court, so Daren and I walked down.

Janine pointed out the eagle, which was perched under the canopy, something I have never seen an adult do. In my experience, adults prefer perching on tree tops or on branches which have views of open areas.
02.JPG

The eagle was being mobbed by evil minions of the Dark Lord.
01.JPG

Sometimes we could hear the crows making contact with the eagle.
03.JPG

We were concerned that the eagle might be hiding under the canopy because it was sick or injured. It threw up twice before flying to another perch which offered better shots.
04.JPG

05.JPG

The eagle flew to another part of the park, as reported by the crows, while we were looking for the resident barred owl.

I heard from a local raptor expert regarding the eagle's behavior. He said it is not unusual for eagles to perch under canopy. All raptors cough up pellets containing indigestible material that is called "casting". It is not unusual but seldom observed, so I guess Janine and I were privileged in that respect.

Wednesday (5/4) an evil minion of the Dark Lord was diving at something hidden behind the cattails at the marsh. I suspected one of the Pt. Edwards eagles was bathing in Willow Creek.

I was right, as a few minutes later the eagle, accompanied by its crow-tourage, flew to one of the poles beside the railroad tracks to dry off.
01.JPG

02.JPG

The crows continued to harass the eagle.
03.JPG

04.JPG

A truce was reached.
05.JPG

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back