Wildlife of Edmonds, WA. 2015

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

The killdeer was joined by some of its landlubber buddies after it came ashore.

06.JPG

07.JPG

There were about a dozen killdeer at the marsh and they were all very skittish. There was no sign of predators, so I suspect they may be getting into a mating mood.

Last edited:
Tuesday morning (2/10) I was parked on Sunset Ave. when I saw a large, dark bird flying south bound towards me that was being chased by crows. I initially thought it was a juvie bald eagle, of which I have plenty of shots. That and the lousy light caused me to disobey my cardinal rule of "shoot first and ask questions later."

I did not realize the bird was a raven until it was too late to get anything but a passing "Sasquatch" shot. :mad:
01.JPG

According to Birds of the Puget Sound Region (http://www.amazon.com/Birds-Puget-Sound-Region-Regional/dp/0964081024), ravens are not supposed to be in the metro Seattle area. We have been seeing a pair in the Pt. Edwards/Woodway area for the past nine months, but I blew my opportunity to get a good shot of one. :(

Last edited:
Since the foliage was removed from the fence behind the #1 viewing platform, Wesley has been perching on the barbed wire very close to the platform. Wednesday (2/11) I caught him perched above a spider web. I shot at -1 exposure compensation to keep his bright red feathers from being blown out.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

Up on Pine St. I captured a hummer and the Pt. Edwards bald eagle pair in one photo by shooting at 1/500 and f/32 to get everything in focus. Look for the hummer perched on a branch of the tree in the lower left corner.

05.JPG

Amazing you were able to get both the hummer and eagles, Bill. That was a huge distance between them.

Here's a few of my shots of Wesley - fairly close crops - ISO 3200 - I ran these through a very light noise reduction program - fortunately I didn't lose any detail.

2-11-2015 annas _1947.JPG

2-11-2015 annas _1962_filtered.jpg

2-11-2015 annas _1995_filtered.jpg

2-11-2015 annas phttttt_1955_filtered.jpg

2-11-2015 annas phttttt_1957_filtered.jpg

Here's one shot of the eagle pair - I couldn't get the dramatic sky you did - I probably NEED the new Canon 100-400 :(

Shot at -1 e.c.

2-11-2015 eagle pair_2041.JPG

Some shots from Thursday (2/12):

A small flock of sanderlings(?) flew past the marina.......
01.JPG

.... as did a pair of surf scoters.
02.JPG

An evil minion of the Dark Lord was watching my every move at the #1 viewing platform of the marsh.
03.JPG

The marsh wrens have become quite vocal in the cattails at the marsh. One briefly came out into the open with a bug.
04.JPG

A flock of geese flew northeast from the marsh. I suspect they were flying to the Civic Center play fields or Olympic View elementary school.
05.JPG

Last edited:
Another episode of everyone's favorite reality show, "Snipe Hunt."

5DIII + 100-400L telephoto zoom, handheld @ 400mm.
01.JPG

02.JPG

Moving closer.

5DIII + 500L telephoto + 1.4x teleconverter, tripod mounted @ 700mm.
03.JPG

04.JPG

Last edited:
Some birds from Friday the 13th.

Two pigeon guillemots began courtship rituals off the fishing pier.
01.JPG

A black-capped chickadee was digging for larvae in cattail heads at the marsh.
02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

The marsh wrens are coming out of hiding for the spring mating season.
05.JPG

Saturday (2/14) my son Daren and I ran into Janine at Marina Beach. Janine had not yet been to the marsh, so we both drove over and found two snipes in the usual spot off the #1 viewing platform. One preferred to stay hidden in the grass, but the other walked around in the mud looking for food. The shots were not easy as we were looking directly into both shadows and the sun.

5DIII + 500L telephoto + 1.4x teleconverter, tripod mounted.
01.JPG

02.JPG

Wesley, the male Anna's hummingbird who guards the #1 viewing platform, gets very upset when he is not the center of attention. He will perch fairly close to us to get his photo taken.
7D + 100-400L zoom, handheld.
03.JPG

Last edited:
From a couple of days ago at the Edmonds Marsh - nothing special, but I liked the lighting and reflections.

5Diii 400mm f5.6L + 1.4x 1/1250s f8 ISO 1600.

2-11-2015 gull landing_1971.JPG

Last edited:
Great photo! It looks like an angel of some sorts.

What a difference your new 5DIII makes. You can use your 5.6/400L telephoto lens + 1.4x teleconverter with autofocus. You can also use a shutter speed of 1/1250 @ ISO 1200 to produce a photo without noise. :D

Last edited:
Thanks, Bill....yes, I am in love with my 5Diii :)

Turns out the ISO was actually 1600....

Last edited:
Boy, that's a neat pic, Terry!

I like how you framed it. interesting how the wing reflection tapers into a straight edge along either side of the wings reflection towards the bottom of the photo.

Chad

Monday's (2/16) warm weather brought out bugs. A hummer on the west end of the Pt. Edwards walkway took advantage of the situation and went hunting.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Really nice sequence shots, Bill. Its amazing how much their coloring changes in different light.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back