Wldlife of Edmonds, WA. 2014

PNWPhotos.com a friendly and growing community of photographers with an interest in the Pacific Northwest region. We feature a Photography Discussion Forum and Pacific Northwest Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other photographers, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more!

Lighting conditions were very good Friday (diffuse, cloud cover, no glaring sunlight), so Terry and I spent some time photographing the herons at the marsh. Some of the herons appeared to exhibit mating behavior, which is common this time of year as the daylight/darkness ratio is about the same as it is in the spring.

I had mounted my 5DIII + 500L telephoto + 2x teleconverter to a tripod, which enabled me to get close to the action taking place across the marsh.
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
The winter migrants are returning, such as this northern shoveler.
01.JPG

Gadwall
02.JPG

Killdeer
03.JPG

Wigeons, another winter migrant.
04.JPG

Cowbird
05.JPG

We went to Yost Park looking for varied thrush and the resident barred owls, but came up empty on both accounts.

I climbed up the ravine following the sounds of a squawking jay that I thought would lead me to one of the owls, but all I got was an ethereal shot of the jay.
06.JPG

Things are picking up at the fishing pier.

Pigeon guillemot in transition plumage.
07.JPG

Rhinocerous auklet. It opens its mouth to take a deep breath just before it dives.
08.JPG

A pelagic cormorant was wrestling with a fish it had caught.
09.JPG

10.JPG

I don't see many red-winged blackbirds in the fall and winter, but I don't think they migrate. I think they just hunker down in the cattails and emerge as they see fit. Here are some I caught Thursday (10/9) digging for larvae in the heads of the cattails below the #2 viewing platform of the marsh.

The black ones are the males.
01.JPG

02.JPG

The camouflaged ones are the females.
03.JPG

At first glance they look like song sparrows. I'm sure the camouflage suits them well while they sit on nests in the spring.
04.JPG

05.JPG

Last edited:
On Columbus Day (10/14) I spotted a brown creeper at the fish hatchery. The creepers are masters of camouflage. Can you see it?
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

There is no missing Wesley as he guards the #1 viewing platform at the marsh.

05.JPG

Winter migrants continue to arrive at the marsh. Unfortunately they tend to gather on the far south side, necessitating the use of a long lens to photograph them.

Green-winged teals.
06.JPG

American wigeons.
07.JPG

One exception is the northern shoveler, which will get closer.
09.JPG

Reflection of a great blue heron, a year round resident.
08.JPG

Later I saw a lone black turnstone on the jetty at Brackett's Landing. It is the first time I have seen one in Edmonds.
10.JPG

Wednesday morning (10/15) as I was driving my son to tennis in nearby Mountlake Terrace, I noticed that one of the Lake Ballinger eagles had returned. After dropping my son off, I returned to take some photos of the eagle and other birds I saw in the lake.

A flock of about a dozen grebes was on the west side of the lake. They were a distance from me, but I believe they were western grebes.
01.JPG

02.JPG

Two pied-billed grebes were closer to the dock. I used the old trick of moving closer when one was submerged to get a close shot as it approached the shore.
03.JPG

Three greater white-fronted geese were grazing in the soccer field. By now the rain was blowing in horizontally.
04.JPG

Continued

Last edited:
It cleared up later that afternoon when my son and I visited the Edmonds marsh, although the wind was still blowing hard.

A fairly large flock of Canada geese flew in just as we arrived.
05.JPG

06.JPG

07.JPG

I found the snipe in the same location where I have recently photographed it. I did not need binos to see it from the boardwalk. It was resting and did not disappear into the rushes as several of us walked by.
08.JPG

09.JPG

Here's a surprise shot I got yesterday AM (Thursday). The Killdeers were in close, so I was trying to get a decent shot of one. After I got home, I discovered your pet Snipe was lurking in the background.

10-16-2014 killdeer and snipe marsh_0154.JPG

I also dropped by the Lake Ballinger soccer field to check on the white-fronted geese. The three of them were still there.

10-16-2014 white=fronted geese Lk Ballinger_0140.JPG

Then at the Edmonds pier, I didn't see much, but this Starling was posing on the rocks, so I took the shot. They really are an attractive bird - too bad they are so invasive and problematical.

10-16-2014 starling Edmonds Jetty_0162.JPG

Friday afternoon (10/17) an evil minion of the Dark Lord welcomed me to the marsh.
01.JPG

Some green-winged teals were much closer to the boardwalk than usual, which made photographing them easier.
02.JPG

I pulled a Terry as I photographed a northern shoveler. Guess what I discovered lurking in the background when I looked at my photos on the computer.
03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

Some photos from Thursday (10/16) at Pt. Edwards.

The resident great blue heron flew in and perched on the old light tower by the retention pond.
01.JPG

02.JPG

I had to use -1 photo compensation to keep from blowing out the white head feathers.
03.JPG

A male house finch was in the bushes by the condos.
04.JPG

Great Finch Shot- what's he perching on? love the colors this time of year!

I think it is a type of wild rose. I don't know the name, but there are lots of those plants at the condo complex and on the north end of Sunset Ave if you want to get a closer look. I am tempted to "liberate" a few seeds and plant them in my yard. They are quite hardy, require no maintenance, and birds like the seeds.

Update: The plant is called "rose hips."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_hip

Last edited:
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

PNWPhotos.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back